Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I am starting university in September and it says that my course will be around 9 hours of contact time. I was just hoping someone would be able to give me an idea of how many days this would mean I am in uni for?
Thank you
lol.yolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the contact hours is typically calculated either by week or by module. Unfortunately you can't really tell how many days this will work out at, it depends on how your timetable looks, you may have all your contact squished into two days or you might be required to attend a lecture/tutorial/workshop from Monday-friday. Be aware though that you will obviously have time outside of contact hours to spend doing work.

Most unis don't run classes on Wednesday afternoons as they are used for sports fixtures
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's impossible to tell.

I've had the same number of contact hours every year of my course, but one year they were spread across 5 days, one year across 4 days and now across 3.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I am starting university in September and it says that my course will be around 9 hours of contact time. I was just hoping someone would be able to give me an idea of how many days this would mean I am in uni for?
Thank you
it could befall on one day or spread out over 5 days or crammed in to a few days I had 23 hours in my first year which went 11 hours on Monday 10 hours on Tuesday and 3 hours on Wednesday it wasn't great but it did give me 4 days to do about 12 hours with of study and assignments (uni weeks are meant to take up about 35 hours the game as a full time job) so you see even lots of contact hours like I had can be crammed into a few days. I really can't tell you.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Thank you
Hiya!

Contact hours really vary depending on your course and what year of study you are in so don't worry if you have more or less than some of your friends in different years/ degrees as your hours will be specific to you.

In my first year I had 14 hours and in my second year I had 11, but some of my friends only had around 6! Usually I was in anywhere between 9-6pm Monday to Friday, and I had two weeks of different timings that repeated themselves throughout the term. Sometimes i would have a week where i was in for 5 hours on a Monday and Thursday and that was it, where other terms i was in every day. It really varies!

Usually the maximum for a seminar and lecture is 2 hours. This will vary though depending on your course, as some students have workshops that can last for a longer period of time!

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep
Lluvia Morado
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I rarely get two weeks the same. Some have had 10-12hrs of lectures spread over 5 days, other weeks I've had 4 or 5hrs of lectures all on one day and then only one or two lectures on other days (and a couple of days "free").
It varies so much.

Currently I've completed 4 out of my 6 modules, and the 5th is Tutorials with just one scheduled contact left, and a couple of low-weighting (10%) tasks to complete. So this week I've only got one module's lectures (about 4hrs), and next week I think there's even less, like 2 hour lecture, and then I have 2 exams on that module and that's it for this year.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi,
Thank you
Hey!

I thought I’d share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer.

During my undergrad, I was in for roughly the same number of hours each week. In my first year, I studied three modules per semester so 6 hours each week and had 2 hour tutorials every second week. I had a similar timetable in my second and third year. My lectures in my first three years usually had an hour break between them. These were held over three days of the week. I usually worked for 4 hours each day then longer at the weekend, 3 hours on a Saturday after or before my shift and longer on Sunday (around 5 hours).

My final year was slightly different as I studied 4 electives in total (2 in semester one and 2 in semester two). My dissertation was due in semester two of my final year. In my final year I was in for 4 hours a week in both the first and second semester. Seminars were 2 hours long for both of my electives. I used the time in between seminars to work on my dissertation in the library. I spent a lot more time studying in my final year, around 5 hours most days after my classes, and had one day off at the weekend.

Good luck at uni 

Melissa- Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (114)
14.29%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.65%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.27%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.53%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.13%
Point of Entry (56)
7.02%
Self-release (116)
14.54%
Tariff Point (64)
8.02%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.88%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.65%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads