No

What devices do you have currently?
Desktop, phone.

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 -

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
Hi guys, hope someone is kind enough to offer me a hand here. I already have a decent desktop which can cover all my software needs. I'm looking for a little laptop which can run YouTube and any kind of word processor.

I don't want to break the bank, but would like to have a back lit keyboard, bluetooth and a battery of 6+ hours.

I reckon a Chromebook might be the perfect solution for me but have no experience with them.

Basically, i'm after a no frills options to bash out my homework on. Would a Chromebook be suitable for me?

Cheers for any advice.
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by WindiestMiller)
WindiestMiller's Laptop recommendation thread

Budget
More than £2000

Subject being studied
Computer science

Software that will be used
Word processor

Screen size
Other

Operating system preference
Other

Minimum amount of RAM
Not sure

Minimum storage requirement
20gb + SD Card reader

Weight limit
lighter the better

Used for playing games?
No

If yes, what games?

Touchscreen needed?
Not sure

Are there any specific ports you need?
No

What devices do you have currently?
Desktop, phone.

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 -

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
Hi guys, hope someone is kind enough to offer me a hand here. I already have a decent desktop which can cover all my software needs. I'm looking for a little laptop which can run YouTube and any kind of word processor.

I don't want to break the bank, but would like to have a back lit keyboard, bluetooth and a battery of 6+ hours.

I reckon a Chromebook might be the perfect solution for me but have no experience with them.

Basically, i'm after a no frills options to bash out my homework on. Would a Chromebook be suitable for me?

Cheers for any advice.
you don't wanna break the bank but your budget's 2k+ :lol: jk

tbh if I'm not mistaken CS courses require a lot of coding - which you could do from your desktop but that removes the portability aspect of having a laptop and ties you down to completing school related stuff / assignments only on your desktop. I don't think a chromebook would have the power to do that?

I might be mistaken though
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Buy a used premium business laptop from ebay or Facebook marketplace for under £250

Or ask a few IT departments at large organisations if you can have one of their old laptops for free.

Whatever you get make sure it has an SSD hard drive. Either already or one you buy and fit yourself for £32.
Replace the battery yourself when it needs it - for a cost of about £30 depending on the laptop.
Aim for a 1920 - FHD (or better) screen resolution.

If you're buying a laptop models to look out for are HP 830's and 840's in different generations. EG this week on ebay a HP 830 G6 with a faulty camera (no big deal to fix or use a small USB camera) sold for under £250.
Dell Latitudes E74x0 eg E7470's are also good (and tick the backlit keyboard box). Or maybe one of the 13" Dell Latitudes?
Lenovo x1 Carbons for light weight 14" but at a premium price used. Or T4x0#s eg T460's are good.

Install Linux instead of Windows. And Libre Office makes a nice free alternative to MS Office.
There's loads of great industrial strength open source software for Linux. Eg Mariadb. And the built in text editors, eg vim are good for coding in Linux.

A Chromebook makes no sense whatsoever when you can get used business laptops for £free to £250. And when you are a techie.

You wil also get kudos points for running linux on a pleasantly cheap used business laptop, instead of being a new kit Windows sheep like so many other students.

You can add bluetooth to any laptop that doesn't have it with a tiny USB dongle for under £10.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (99)
36%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
14.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (14)
5.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (29)
10.55%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (31)
11.27%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
12.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
9.82%

Watched Threads