The Student Room Group

South African interested in studying biomedical science in the UK.

I am currently studying biomedical sciences in South Africa. It is a fairly general degree when it comes to medical sciences and I am currently studying anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and molecular medicine in my 2nd year of study. Next year I choose two majors and fourth year I choose my honours. I am then interested in coming to study masters in the UK. I am interested in neuroscience, physiology, genetics and pharmacology and am not sure which I plan to pursue yet.

My concerns are getting funding for my postgraduate degree as due to the exchange rate between South Africa and UK, I cannot afford to pay for a degree in the UK.
Any advice for getting scholarships? (I am currently getting a high A average and am the top student in my degree at my university)

I am also worried about potential salaries in the medical sciences field. Meeting with researchers and lecturers in SA has made me realise how severely underpaid academics and researchers are. Is it any better in the UK? If not, is it also possible to go into the private sector using skills learnt from a masters degree in something like genetics or pharmacology?

Many thanks
Ariel
Unfortunately there are not too many scholarships awarded by the South African Government to study oversees as we do not have enough money to fund our own universities. There are a few foundations like Chevening and of course the commonwealth that I have been looking into though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending