My girlfriend is depressed

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
We live in separate houses, so we text and talk on the phones most nights. She has recently come to terms with the death of her beloved aunt. I have tried to walk with her through her time of stress, but she does sometimes push me away. She sent me this message, and I do not know how to respond.

"I feel that I have reached the end of my tether, and I can see myself walking out into the darkness, and never seeing light again"

Ever since she sent me that, I have been worried sick, I do not know how to respond. I sent a few kisses, but that is about it.
Jolhihilhil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's really hard to be close to people with depression. The main struggle is trying to figure out what you can do. Firstly, depression is treatable. Don't be scared to recommend therapy or anti-depressants. That being said, beyond encouraging her to get help from qualified professionals there's unfortunately not a huge amount you can do. Be supportive, of course, but don't expect that to cure her depression. Sadly, that's not how that works. Don't push too hard, but don't leave her feeling isolated. It's not an easy balance to strike. Sometimes depression can make people think they'll never have another good day. You have to make sure she knows that's not true. Give her a good day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise