Can having a negative family environment when young affect adult life?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just feel like I am always guarding my true feelings, find it so hard to express how I feel and tend to hurt the ones that care about me as an adult.. From young the negative environment didn't bother me as I had other distractions but reflecting back as a 22 years old adult maybe there has been some effect on me...
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, you are only who you are today due to every single event, action, and experience you have encountered in the past

That doesn't mean the negative family environment will impact you forever since we are constantly growing and you will never stop changing till the day you die

I always like the opposite approach to learning - For instance, my parents made some huge mistakes and as a child, I observed them - Since I understand they were mistakes I'm grateful they made them because it means I can do the exact opposite in the future...
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just feel like I am always guarding my true feelings, find it so hard to express how I feel and tend to hurt the ones that care about me as an adult.. From young the negative environment didn't bother me as I had other distractions but reflecting back as a 22 years old adult maybe there has been some effect on me...
The environmental interactions play a vital role in who you are as a person. If you grow up around people who for example are musicians and they all they want to do is make music and buy instruments-then you will pick up their values and behaviours. I find it hard to express my true feelings as well and I think in our cases we weren't or aren't living in environments with people who listen and make us feel valued and that some of their values aren't shared with your own so this creates distance, which might explain why you may feel it difficult to express how you feel. You say you were too distracted by other things-this may explain why you cannot express yourself in your current environment if it's the same as when you were young.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (191)
74.9%
No (64)
25.1%

Watched Threads