The Student Room Group

Grade Offers and Clearing Q’s

My first choice Uni want ABDistinction despite on the website wanting ABB, which I find a bit weird because a Distinction at a level 3 extended certificate Btec is equivalent to an A. Either way, I’m working at BBDistinction, so am a grade down despite initially thinking I’d be fine. I have no intention of going to my insurance choice, I’m either going to my firm choice or not going to Uni, if I do miss the grades by that one grade what do I need to do to ensure I get into my firm choice?
Original post by hcoxy03
My first choice Uni want ABDistinction despite on the website wanting ABB, which I find a bit weird because a Distinction at a level 3 extended certificate Btec is equivalent to an A. Either way, I’m working at BBDistinction, so am a grade down despite initially thinking I’d be fine. I have no intention of going to my insurance choice, I’m either going to my firm choice or not going to Uni, if I do miss the grades by that one grade what do I need to do to ensure I get into my firm choice?

There’s nothing that you should do. Universities will consider firm applicants who miss their offer conference as a standard part of processing results. If they’re able to accept you with the lower grades (very common) then your application will show you’re accepted on Track on results day. If track says you’re unsuccessful then there’s nothing to be done. If track hasn’t updated then you need to ring your university and have a conversation with them about when they will make a decision (and they might offer an alternative course when you ring).

If you can then attend any offer holder events (or ring up admissions) and ask about their decision making on results if you miss your offer slightly. They’ll be able to explain if they usually have any leniency for your course and if so what they take into account when deciding which applicants to accept with lower grades.
The BTEC and A level equivalences are not automatic, and where you are taking a combination of qualifications, its entirely up to the University what offer they decide to make you.

Worth reading - What Happens on Results Day : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending