This discussion is closed.
Sinon03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
has anyone completed unit 4 assignment A, is it long and could someone show me theirs?
manusha.12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinon03)
has anyone completed unit 4 assignment A, is it long and could someone show me theirs?
I can help you by giving you only guidelines and help for unit 4.
Sinon03
Rep:
(Original post by manusha.12345)
I can help you by giving you only guidelines and help for unit 4.
Thanks I’d appreciate it,
dreammare
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Unit 4: Assignment A (4A) is research based, pick an organisation you feel confident that you'll do well in and plan a template and just follow that, if you need help with the layout of the assignment that I can help you with. Although, Since these are official assignments that are sent off to the exam board unfortunately I cannot show mine.

In my opinions it's pretty long
Sinon03
Rep:
(Original post by dreammare)
Unit 4: Assignment A (4A) is research based, pick an organisation you feel confident that you'll do well in and plan a template and just follow that, if you need help with the layout of the assignment that I can help you with. Although, Since these are official assignments that are sent off to the exam board unfortunately I cannot show mine.

In my opinions it's pretty long
Yeah could you help with the layout please, I’ve gotten a checklist and the first thing is to ‘write about health and safety legislation with reference to an organisation’ my chosen organisation is a laboratory but when it says legislation am I just talking about general health and safety practices for a laboratory?
dreammare
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yeah could you help with the layout please, I’ve gotten a checklist and the first thing is to ‘write about health and safety legislation with reference to an organisation’ my chosen organisation is a laboratory but when it says legislation am I just talking about general health and safety practices for a laboratory?
To find the legislation you should search up: "What legislations does (your chosen company/organisation) follow" or you could search for your organisations hand book.
If you've chosen a hospital, you must talk about the general health and safety within the hospital or whatever organisation you've picked.
Another alternative could be that you could look for the organisation handbook, these are very useful

If you need more help my discord is marii#9571
Last edited by dreammare; 1 year ago
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks I’d appreciate it,
what are you struggling with so I can tell you what to write??
Sinon03
Rep:
what are you struggling with so I can tell you what to write??
I’m not sure how to start it off like I have a waste organisation but I’m not sure what to say? Like I’m supposed to write about health and safety legislation in relation to a waste organisation but idek
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure how to start it off like I have a waste organisation but I’m not sure what to say? Like I’m supposed to write about health and safety legislation in relation to a waste organisation but idek
Hey sorry for the late reply. So you can start by introducing your waste organisation and other different organisation. For example, I did LGC and my school so I said where this lab is located, why is my school different, the location of both organisation (address can be included) and include that you visited your organisation if you did. Say in the intro you are comparing both organisations

Then, you can go to your waste organisation website and start talking about a summary of work they do in their organisation in day to day life (like there should be a page online about the waste organisation). Also, if the website has serving organising part then include that too I had so I did and you don't need to write all you can basically say for further details visit this website ... (website link)

Then, the legislation part comes. Here you will think and write down legislation that is only related to your organisation. For example, there is some common legislation that is applied for all organisation like the health and safety work act 1974, management of health and safety work in 1999 etc check the HSE website. Then, I talked about risk assessment say what it is and steeps included and refer to employees and employers how they deal.

Then, hazards in your organisation include electrical hazards, non-electrical equipment, chemical hazards, chemical spills and say what they use to reduce the risk?? Also, for each hazard say 4-5 hazards like an electric shock, flammable chemicals that can cause fire, say how your organisation manage all this. Also, you can include manual handling, biological hazards, fire exit building and policy, building and general security. Then, go to the organisation website and explain all health and safety policy they have (for more check out this link and download these sheets: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...heets-12155600 )

Overall, this is all for your organisation so confirm with your teacher if you are comparing one organisation with a different organisation like school. If she/he says yes then you do the same thing I mentioned above for different organisation. It's really long in explaining so if you still don't get it then I can help you but use the following link will help you my teacher used the same. I gave you some guidelines to start the work.
Sinon03
Rep:
Hey sorry for the late reply. So you can start by introducing your waste organisation and other different organisation. For example, I did LGC and my school so I said where this lab is located, why is my school different, the location of both organisation (address can be included) and include that you visited your organisation if you did. Say in the intro you are comparing both organisations

Then, you can go to your waste organisation website and start talking about a summary of work they do in their organisation in day to day life (like there should be a page online about the waste organisation). Also, if the website has serving organising part then include that too I had so I did and you don't need to write all you can basically say for further details visit this website ... (website link)

Then, the legislation part comes. Here you will think and write down legislation that is only related to your organisation. For example, there is some common legislation that is applied for all organisation like the health and safety work act 1974, management of health and safety work in 1999 etc check the HSE website. Then, I talked about risk assessment say what it is and steeps included and refer to employees and employers how they deal.

Then, hazards in your organisation include electrical hazards, non-electrical equipment, chemical hazards, chemical spills and say what they use to reduce the risk?? Also, for each hazard say 4-5 hazards like an electric shock, flammable chemicals that can cause fire, say how your organisation manage all this. Also, you can include manual handling, biological hazards, fire exit building and policy, building and general security. Then, go to the organisation website and explain all health and safety policy they have (for more check out this link and download these sheets: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...heets-12155600 )

Overall, this is all for your organisation so confirm with your teacher if you are comparing one organisation with a different organisation like school. If she/he says yes then you do the same thing I mentioned above for different organisation. It's really long in explaining so if you still don't get it then I can help you but use the following link will help you my teacher used the same. I gave you some guidelines to start the work.
Thank you soo much this is really helpful, the only thing I’m a little confused on is when you say legislation specific to my organisation is that something I would find on the organisation website or I just need to think of the activities the organisation does and find legislation linked to those type of activities?
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you soo much this is really helpful, the only thing I’m a little confused on is when you say legislation specific to my organisation is that something I would find on the organisation website or I just need to think of the activities the organisation does and find legislation linked to those type of activities?
I am glad you found it helpful. You will not find legislation on the website you need to think of legislation that might be related to your organisation as I mentioned some main ones in the previous reply.
dreammare
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I am glad you found it helpful. You will not find legislation on the website you need to think of legislation that might be related to your organisation as I mentioned some main ones in the previous reply.
manusha.12345 have you done unit 4 assignment b and c
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
manusha.12345 have you done unit 4 assignment b and c
yes, I have last year.
dreammare
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yes, I have last year.
Can you help me with 4B:
Analyse how relevant the factors you have identified as affecting yield and purity are in the industrial manufacture of ethyl ethanoate
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Can you help me with 4B:
Analyse how relevant the factors you have identified as affecting yield and purity are in the industrial manufacture of ethyl ethanoate
Ok that LA B D2
So I am sure you carried out an ethyl ethanoate experiment. So for D3, I included the following:
Part 1)
-Percentage yield: definition, all calculations, equations, I showed steps to find theoretical yield, I stated my limiting and excess reactant in this experiment.
-Atom economy: definition, word, and symbol equation of the reaction, I found atom economy using mr of each reactant and products and then I briefly said about the law of conservation.
-Finding grams of ethanol used. So, using mass=theoritical density*volume I found the mass of ethanol used in the experiment.
-Then, I found theoretical value for ethyl ethanoate using a mass of ethanol found
-I found the mass of ethyl produced by doing final-initial
-These steps were all done to find percentage yield- so using theoretical yield I found and my actual yield of the reaction I found percentage yield, I included two group's results as well. I briefly just stated that since the percentage yield is not 100% which means different errors affected the purity and yield of the reaction.

(part 1 might be confusing so you make sure you go through with your teacher. Also if you have applied science book 1 for unit 4 then use that as well it is very helpful.)

Part 2)
-Siwoloboff method (used to determine the boiling point): briefly write into and say what it is, what this method shows (measures the purity of ethyl ethanoate), then define purity.
-Aim for this part
-Equipment (bunsen burner, glass capillary tube, etc)
-Risk assessment (glassware, bunsen burner, etc)
-Method step by step what you did
-Image of the experiment and in your method refer to the image
-Results: including your boiling point, group's result, and then average
-Conclusion- say wha is your theoretical boiling point of ethyl ethanoate (look online) and state your boiling point. Say if it's close and say why your value is not exactly the same as online??? due to sources of errors such as loss of reactants or products due to loss quick fit apparatus which affected the purity of ethyl ethanoate. (you are just briefly stating *some sources of errors because you'll are going into detail in the next part).

Part 3)
(Ok now the following part might be too much so don't panic just state every possible error you think of, do research for the experiment. So whatever error you might just state and explain how it will affect the yield is it increasing or decreasing the yield, is it decreasing or increasing the purity and why say why. State improvement to improve the yield and purity if you can think of. I have given many errors below from my work.)

-Factors that affect yield and purity- briefly define human errors and how these errors will affect the yield and purity. Say industry use larger quantities of ethyl ethanoate and you used small quantity which is one of difference
-then think of all human errors like lack of personal skills, how will you improve this (by carrying more trials and practice before the experiment), any quick fit apparatus loss, therefore, decreases the yield, not reading the readings from meniscus level (known as parallax errors). State example how you would improve by looking at eye level therefore yield will get affected.
-did you time yourself while doing the distillation part??? if no yes that's another error say you might have over or under heated the process where some reactants might be in excess or you might have heated less affecting the yield and the purity, therefore, boiling point decreases.
-did you do the second trial of this experi??? if not that's another error therefore yield is low and not reliable. How would you improve?? why would you carry out another trial so you can compare your results and show the difference. This will help you to improve the yield and purity of the substance.
-Loss of yield- (its reversible reaction) so some products and reactants will turn back causing disruption in the experiment as its equilibrium. (talk in detail that's just brief) therefore yield will decrease and affect purity.
-Randon errors-definition, state and explain random errors you found think?
include this important-any sudden bubbling or splitting during reflux can occur which will boil the flux and it can reduce the final yield. Therefore, anti-granules are added (if you added in your experiment then state otherwise don't).
-random errors-over clamping will break flux etc, decreasing the yield
-transferring reactants from a large container to a small container affecting the yield why and purity effects because some of the reactants are left in the equipment
-using too much or too few reactants affecting yield and purity how and explain
-any reactants contaminated will affect the purity and therefore decrease the yield. (they are just given by technician which is the assumption that it's pure)
-equipment might be contaminated
-systematic errors-define, state some errors and explain how it will affect the purity and yield like balance might not be cleaned, placing thermometer too high or too low, equipment not cleaned

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further help.Sorry for the grammar mistakes. Goodluck
Thanks,
Last edited by manusha.12345; 1 year ago
dreammare
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ok that LA B D2
So I am sure you carried out an ethyl ethanoate experiment. So for D3, I included the following:
Part 1)
-Percentage yield: definition, all calculations, equations, I showed steps to find theoretical yield, I stated my limiting and excess reactant in this experiment.
-Atom economy: definition, word, and symbol equation of the reaction, I found atom economy using mr of each reactant and products and then I briefly said about the law of conservation.
-Finding grams of ethanol used. So, using mass=theoritical density*volume I found the mass of ethanol used in the experiment.
-Then, I found theoretical value for ethyl ethanoate using a mass of ethanol found
-I found the mass of ethyl produced by doing final-initial
-These steps were all done to find percentage yield- so using theoretical yield I found and my actual yield of the reaction I found percentage yield, I included two group's results as well. I briefly just stated that since the percentage yield is not 100% which means different errors affected the purity and yield of the reaction.

(part 1 might be confusing so you make sure you go through with your teacher. Also if you have applied science book 1 for unit 4 then use that as well it is very helpful.)

Part 2)
-Siwoloboff method (used to determine the boiling point): briefly write into and say what it is, what this method shows (measures the purity of ethyl ethanoate), then define purity.
-Aim for this part
-Equipment (bunsen burner, glass capillary tube, etc)
-Risk assessment (glassware, bunsen burner, etc)
-Method step by step what you did
-Image of the experiment and in your method refer to the image
-Results: including your boiling point, group's result, and then average
-Conclusion- say wha is your theoretical boiling point of ethyl ethanoate (look online) and state your boiling point. Say if it's close and say why your value is not exactly the same as online??? due to sources of errors such as loss of reactants or products due to loss quick fit apparatus which affected the purity of ethyl ethanoate. (you are just briefly stating *some sources of errors because you'll are going into detail in the next part).

Part 3)
(Ok now the following part might be too much so don't panic just state every possible error you think of, do research for the experiment. So whatever error you might just state and explain how it will affect the yield is it increasing or decreasing the yield, is it decreasing or increasing the purity and why say why. State improvement to improve the yield and purity if you can think of. I have given many errors below from my work.)

-Factors that affect yield and purity- briefly define human errors and how these errors will affect the yield and purity. Say industry use larger quantities of ethyl ethanoate and you used small quantity which is one of difference
-then think of all human errors like lack of personal skills, how will you improve this (by carrying more trials and practice before the experiment), any quick fit apparatus loss, therefore, decreases the yield, not reading the readings from meniscus level (known as parallax errors). State example how you would improve by looking at eye level therefore yield will get affected.
-did you time yourself while doing the distillation part??? if no yes that's another error say you might have over or under heated the process where some reactants might be in excess or you might have heated less affecting the yield and the purity, therefore, boiling point decreases.
-did you do the second trial of this experi??? if not that's another error therefore yield is low and not reliable. How would you improve?? why would you carry out another trial so you can compare your results and show the difference. This will help you to improve the yield and purity of the substance.
-Loss of yield- (its reversible reaction) so some products and reactants will turn back causing disruption in the experiment as its equilibrium. (talk in detail that's just brief) therefore yield will decrease and affect purity.
-Randon errors-definition, state and explain random errors you found think?
include this important-any sudden bubbling or splitting during reflux can occur which will boil the flux and it can reduce the final yield. Therefore, anti-granules are added (if you added in your experiment then state otherwise don't).
-random errors-over clamping will break flux etc, decreasing the yield
-transferring reactants from a large container to a small container affecting the yield why and purity effects because some of the reactants are left in the equipment
-using too much or too few reactants affecting yield and purity how and explain
-any reactants contaminated will affect the purity and therefore decrease the yield. (they are just given by technician which is the assumption that it's pure)
-equipment might be contaminated
-systematic errors-define, state some errors and explain how it will affect the purity and yield like balance might not be cleaned, placing thermometer too high or too low, equipment not cleaned

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further help.Sorry for the grammar mistakes. Goodluck
Thanks,
could you help me compare the laboratory and industrial manufacture and testing of ethyl ethanoate?
Including the principles, similarities and differences in the equipment and techniques used!!!
Last edited by dreammare; 1 year ago
manusha.12345
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
could you help me compare the laboratory and industrial manufacture and testing of ethyl ethanoate?
Including the principles, similarities and differences in the equipment and techniques used!!!
M3:
-Introduction: briefly say what are you comparing and briefly say why your results are different from the industry??
-how Esterification reaction is used in industry and laboratory to produce ethyl ethanoate?
-how refluxing carried out in lab and industry. Define reflux, and why refluxing in the industry is different? Briefly write the process of refluxing. Say differences in the method for both any different equipment involved or method any steps.
Try these links:
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshel...1.3K%3A_Reflux
https://www.ukessays.com/essays/biol...logy-essay.php
https://www.solventis.net/products/e...ethyl-acetate/

-Simple distillation and fractional: define both, and how both are different in industrial how industrial distillation is carried out (I used book 1 check out there).
-Flash evaporation-define, state if the process is used in lab and industry and why only used in a specific place. Say difference relating to any equipment or method. (Hint: flash evaporation is only used in industry but the lab uses a different method known as molecular sieve technique). Define this and say how this method is helpful to manufacture ethyl ethanoate.

(So these are different ways, techniques involved to manufacture ethyl ethanoate. So say which procedure is used in lab and industry are they different? then why so briefly write the steps and method any different equipment) How this method helps to produce ethyl ethanoate.

-Equipment in industry and laboratory (comparison) (So I did in table format you can do in the paragraph as well)
  • one table for industry
  • The table should include equipment names that are used in the lab such as distillation plant, reflux drum, cooling column, boiler, reboiler etc
  • in the next column, you include images of industry equipment I mentioned before
  • in next column give a brief explanation of how these equipment are used to manufacture ethyl ethanoate. For example, a boiler used to heat up the reactants using high temp (Don't forget to reference the images)
(You do the same table for lab equipment where equipment will be different such as quick fit apparatus, rubber tubing etc, include images and explanation basically same but for lab).

Hope that's helpful
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads