Physics GCSE Magnetism and Electromagnetism question

Watch
TacticalDebation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need help with this 5 mark question:

Figure 11 shows the inside parts of the alternator.

The handle of the alternator is turned, causing the coil to rotate.
Explain why an alternating current is induced in the coil. (5 marks)

I will attach a photo below. I am very stuck and I do not know what to write. Would I refer to the motor effect?

Last edited by TacticalDebation; 1 month ago
Aabbyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its electromagnetic induction acccccccccccccc not dccccccccccccccccccccc, why wud ya write abt motor effect
TacticalDebation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Aabbyy)
Its electromagnetic induction acccccccccccccc not dccccccccccccccccccccc, why wud ya write abt motor effect
It was the first thing I coulf think about and I haven't started writing yet, i don't know where to begin. What would I write?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TacticalDebation)
I need help with this 5 mark question:

Figure 11 shows the inside parts of the alternator.

The handle of the alternator is turned, causing the coil to rotate.
Explain why an alternating current is induced in the coil. (5 marks)

I will attach a photo below. I am very stuck and I do not know what to write. Would I refer to the motor effect?

A magnetic field with a flux density in between the alternator exists. When the alternator is rotating around the axle, the flux density in the alternator periodically changes. That causes an alternating current (AC); this current depends on the flux density in the alternator and therefore changes periodically too.
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 month ago
Nikolay Y
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the coil of wire between the two magnets is spun, the generator effect occurs as the coil moves relative to the magnetic field, cutting through magnetic field lines, causing p.d to be induced onto the wire. As the wire is connected in series to the circuit and each end is connected to a slip ring that carries AC output and allows for current in the coil to change direction in the magnetic field, AC is induced in the coil.

- Just revising for my Physics exam ( im Yr 11), should be able to get full marks with this level of detail. Hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise