Did Paladins clone Overwatch or League of Legends

Watch this thread
killabitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,
As you know Paladins was accused of cloning Overwatch but I have seen some Paladins videos on YouTube and it looks more like a League of Legends clone. What do you think?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by killabitis)
Hey guys,
As you know Paladins was accused of cloning Overwatch but I have seen some Paladins videos on YouTube and it looks more like a League of Legends clone. What do you think?
As a class based shooter with highly distinct player roles, both Paladins and Overwatch owe most of their DNA to the same game, the grandaddy of the genre, Team Fortress 2. Given the relatively small window between the two titles being announced it's highly likely that both games were already in some stage of development before either was public knowledge to the other, but Blizzard had the advantage of both announcing first and being more famous- this is exactly what happened with another game in the Hero Shooter genre, Lawbreakers. The question then becomes whether these games first took the idea of distilling a class shooter down further to specific heroes independently, took the idea from the rising popularity of the MOBA genre, or a mix of both. If I was a betting man, I would guess Overwatch took inspiration for a roster of unique heroes from the success of DOTA, the original MOBA that originated as a mod of one of their other games, and then other studios took the wildly popular reception of the Overwatch announcement to turn class shooters already in development into hero shooters.
killabitis
Rep:
How do Paladins and Overwatch share most of the same DNA if Paladins looks a lot like League of Legends?
killabitis
Rep:
Actually it’s Paladins Strike that looks a lot like League of Legends. I think Paladins Strike is a League of Legends clone. Do you agree?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How do Paladins and Overwatch share most of the same DNA if Paladins looks a lot like League of Legends?
Because the aesthetic similarities are shared by games predating both, and the gameplay aspect that be is distinct enough to not be considered a clone. Games take inspiration from each other, it's a fact of life.
Actually it’s Paladins Strike that looks a lot like League of Legends. I think Paladins Strike is a League of Legends clone. Do you agree?
No more than League copied DOTA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (31)
27.68%
Take a gap year (17)
15.18%
Resit my exams (30)
26.79%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.18%
I don't know yet (12)
10.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.46%

Watched Threads