How to stop regretting university choice?

Watch
twistedalice
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I can't stop worrying about my university ranking and I kept on regretting my choices like "why didn't I pick a higher rank one?". This made me lose focus on my current study and I feel so messed up. Does university ranking even matter when it comes to job opportunities?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to a public university even when I preferred a private one in principle, but in the end it didn't matter, as I graduated there with flying colours. Treating it as a rite of passage instead of a necessity helped me coped with studying there.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Getting cold feet, worrying that 'have I chosen the right Uni, ' is this the right course' etc etc, is very normal at this point.

There will be thousands of students all over the UK thinking exactly the same things at the moment. Its a big step you are about to make, and actually its quite natural that you are starting to weigh up the reality of actually Going to Uni. But - when you get to Uni, start your course, start to join-in and make new friends, you be surprised by how exciting/amazing it all is. And you will look back and wonder what you were so worried about - promise.

Rankings and all that la-la really do not matter. Presumably you chose those courses/Unis because they were the ones that really interested you - the best reason. Rankings can they can never tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni.

Tip - this weekend, go out and buy some things to-take-to-Uni and start enjoying the journey you are making. It will be okay, just take it all in little-steps.
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only picking a uni based on rankings is kinda shallow, IMO.
In fact, I didn’t look at it at all. Yeah you can sit and wonder whether or not you should’ve applied to Oxford or Cambridge but it doesn’t mean other unis are bad.

Id rather go to a uni lower on the rankings but I enjoy the course structure, modules, campus, and accommodation more than go to a uni with a higher ranking and hate the course im in, classes I’ll have, campus, and accommodation.
kaneda.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Regret is totally normal, I think all people experience it. I didn't pick a high ranking uni - I picked one that had good reviews from students, who spoke highly of the course/accommodation/etc and said they enjoyed their experience to the fullest. I then compared it to my sibling, who picked well ranking unis, and thought to myself, have I made a mistake? I looked closer at her uni choices, and saw that though the ranks were good, student satisfaction was very mixed - would I really want to go to a prestigious uni and then have a horrible time? No, not really. Heck, it's better to go to a low ranking uni and complete the course than it is to go to a top-ranking uni and then fail because I didn't enjoy it and was too stressed to work. Not all high ranking universities have bad student satisfaction, but you get my point.

Just remember - there's a reason that uni stood out to you amongst the rest, and that reason is as good as any.
Last edited by kaneda.; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cchloepx)
You can sit and wonder whether or not you should’ve applied to Oxford or Cambridge but it doesn’t mean other unis are bad.

Id rather go to a uni lower on the rankings but I enjoy the course structure, modules, campus, and accommodation more than go to a uni with a higher ranking and hate the course im in, classes I’ll have, campus, and accommodation.
This.

With highlighter, neon lights and a fanfare.
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cchloepx)
In fact, I didn’t look at it at all. Yeah you can sit and wonder whether or not you should’ve applied to Oxford or Cambridge but it doesn’t mean other unis are bad.

Finding a university that suits you well is quite necessary, not just for your training experience, but also for your sanity and well-being, given the stress of studying and juggling between activities at school, especially if they don't fit your preferences.
Royal Agricultural University
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by twistedalice)
I can't stop worrying about my university ranking and I kept on regretting my choices like "why didn't I pick a higher rank one?". This made me lose focus on my current study and I feel so messed up. Does university ranking even matter when it comes to job opportunities?
When it comes to applying for jobs, most employers are after a degree. They will not be googling your university and checking it's ranking! What is more important is the result of your degree and all "extra" things you have done - work experiences, participation in clubs and societies, voluntary work etc. Hope this helps! Ksenia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%