The Student Room Group

Student loan and maintenance loan

I know it's late but I've just applied to student loan and maintenance loan. It says that the money is only coming after I start my course. Is the tuition fee paid immediately at the start/before the start of term? The student loan is only coming in October for me. The course starts on the 27th of September which means that there's a welcome week from the 20th, but the money for accommodation only comes in late October. What do I do?
Hi, I've moved your thread to the student financial support forum :smile:

The tuition fee loan is paid directly to your university, and never enters your account. Student Finance does this automatically, although if you know that your application has been delayed then it is best to let your university know when you start so they can make a note on their system that you have applied for funding from Student Finance and it is coming but will be delayed. Also note that usually SFE pays it to the uni in two instalments, once at the start of the academic year and then the remainder in January (usually).

The maintenance loan is the part of the Student Finance loans that gets paid to you directly, and is paid to your nominated bank account in three instalments; once at the start of the academic year (if it's not been delayed or you applied late), one in usually early-mid January, and the last one sometime in the spring (I can't remember if it was before or after the easter break that it usually gets paid). The will only disburse your loan to you on or after the start date of your course.

I would not expect them to pay your maintenance loan in late October, especially as you have not applied particularly late (I've applied for SFE a couple weeks before term starts before and still gotten my maintenance loan paid by the end of October), so I'd suggest you contact SFE and ask them about that timing.
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's late but I've just applied to student loan and maintenance loan. It says that the money is only coming after I start my course. Is the tuition fee paid immediately at the start/before the start of term? The student loan is only coming in October for me. The course starts on the 27th of September which means that there's a welcome week from the 20th, but the money for accommodation only comes in late October. What do I do?

This is normal for all students. Your tuition fee is paid automatically by the government to the university so you'll never see this money enter your bank account. With regards to your maintenance loan, the money only comes into your account once term has started, usually within a week or two of the official university term start date I believe. This isn't the same week as freshers/welcome week because freshers/welcome week and when people move in is usually the week before term. During freshers/welcome week you'll need to make sure you already have enough money for food and going out because your maintenance loan won't be in for another week. In addition, if your accommodation costs are required before your maintenance loan comes in you'll have to make sure you have a way of paying it either using money you already have/savings or if necessary, your bank overdraft. However you should double check the dates of your scheduled maintenance loan because if your term starts on 27th Sept, your first loan instalment should come in the same week or the week after, not late October.

Just as an example, my course also starts on the 27th Sept and on my student finance account is says that the date of payment is scheduled for the week of the 27th. My accommodation rent is due 1st October so if my maintenance loan hasn't arrived yet then I'll be paying the rent with my own money then the loan will come in a few days after so I'll get the money back (as a loan). I can move into uni halls on the 18th or 19th of Sept so from the date I move in to the date my loan comes in, I'll be using my own money for food shopping, laundry, going out etc.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending