Original post by RDKGames
To make it look better

So could they pull any factor out
Reply 4
Could I have left it as - 3i and 4 j
Original post by MM2002
Could I have left it as - 3i and 4 j

No because that’s not a unit vector.

You can leave it as -3/5 i + 4/5 j tho if that’s what you’re asking?
Reply 6
No because that’s not a unit vector.

You can leave it as -3/5 i + 4/5 j tho if that’s what you’re

How did we know by pulling out a fifth we would get a unit vector
Original post by MM2002
How did we know by pulling out a fifth we would get a unit vector

Just divide by the magnitude of a vector to make it unit ... the magnitude here is obvious since it is related to the 3,4,5 triangle.
Reply 8
Just divide by the magnitude of a vector to make it unit ... the magnitude here is obvious since it is related to the 3,4,5 triangle.

I understand you thnaks ! I just don’t get why it has to be a unit vector
Original post by MM2002
I understand you thnaks ! I just don’t get why it has to be a unit vector

The questions asks for it as a unit vector ... nothing more to it.
Reply 10
to find the unit vector of the impulse, you take the thing in brackets (-3i+4j), find the magnitude (ie 3^2+4^2 = 25 sqrt(25)= 5), take the reciprocal (in this case, 1/5) and stick it on the front, giving you 1/5(-3i+4j). They've given it to you in that form because the question asks for the impulse as a unit vector, as @RDKGames said :smile:

(The official formula is: unit vector = v/|v| https://www.dummies.com/education/math/calculus/finding-the-unit-vector-of-a-vector/ but 1/magnitude of vector works just as well, take your pick on which one you want to use)
Reply 11
9B180CE8-E1AA-4EB3-BF9B-9D81528E4854.jpegR they using a Paticular formula for part b ?!
Cause I dotn see how they are getting the answer image.jpg
Reply 12
Someone help me man pls :-( !!!!
Original post by MM2002
9B180CE8-E1AA-4EB3-BF9B-9D81528E4854.jpegR they using a Paticular formula for part b ?!
Cause I dotn see how they are getting the answer image.jpg

You need to use the dot product here to project the before/after velocities onto the unit impulse vector.

In other words, you are finding the before/after speeds of the ball perpendicular to the wall before writing down a relationship between them using the coeff of restitution.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
You need to use the dot product here to project the before/after velocities onto the unit impulse vector.

In other words, you are finding the before/after speeds of the ball perpendicular to the wall before writing down a relationship between them using the coeff of restitution.

Is there a formula for this that I could use all the time . My book didn’t give me any examples
Reply 15
-eu.I=v.I
In the Dr Frost mechanics slides.
u= initial velocity
v= final velocity
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by JaeTEF
-eu.I=v.I
In the Dr Frost mechanics slides.
u= initial velocity
v= final velocity