HANGRY123
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Explain two biological reasons why most doctors think a kidney transplant is better than dialysis - do not refer to cost and convenience (4 marks - GCSE biology)
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HANGRY123)
Explain two biological reasons why most doctors think a kidney transplant is better than dialysis - do not refer to cost and convenience (4 marks - GCSE biology)
Why do you think this might be the case?

Can a dialysis machine be used for eternity? What about the dietary restrictions on someone who’s on dialysis as compared to a kidney transplant?
HANGRY123
Rep:
(Original post by qwert7890)
Why do you think this might be the case?

Can a dialysis machine be used for eternity? What about the dietary restrictions on someone who’s on dialysis as compared to a kidney transplant?
oh, is it because they are not permeable to big molecules such as proteins .

I said that a kidney transplant is the only cure for kidney failure.
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HANGRY123)
oh, is it because they are not permeable to big molecules such as proteins .

I said that a kidney transplant is the only cure for kidney failure.
I believe dialysis can also work with kidney failures, if I am not mistaken.

What I meant was that you can’t use dialysis machines forever, and so a doctor might choose kidney transplant over dialysis. Dialysis is a relatively temporary solution as opposed to kidney transplants (although kidneys may not last for life after transplant either).

Secondly, with dialysis you have a lot of dietary restrictions. This restriction is much more in comparison to kidney transplants, and so a doctor might choose transplant over dialysis for this reason.
HANGRY123
Rep:
(Original post by qwert7890)
I believe dialysis can also work with kidney failures, if I am not mistaken.

What I meant was that you can’t use dialysis machines forever, and so a doctor might choose kidney transplant over dialysis. Dialysis is a relatively temporary solution as opposed to kidney transplants (although kidneys may not last for life after transplant either).

Secondly, with dialysis you have a lot of dietary restrictions. This restriction is much more in comparison to kidney transplants, and so a doctor might choose transplant over dialysis for this reason.
Oh thanks, this makes sense now!

Could you help me with this pls?

A functional MRI (fMRI) scanner allows a person to move while the scanner makes images of the person's brain activity. Suggest how the fMRI scanner could help find out more about brain damage. (3 marks)
avgy
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I would say that your second reason is more a convenience than a biological reason. Instead, I would say that dialysis can cause blood clots or infections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
14%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
2%
Finding the time to revise (6)
12%
Finding the motivation (10)
20%
Getting distracted (7)
14%
Procrastination (19)
38%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed