The Student Room Group

How to travel to uni?

I am a mature student and I don't drive. I live in London and will be moving to Edinburgh and am trying to figure out the best way to get myself and my belongings up there.

Most advice about travelling to uni is for teenagers who are going with their parents which obviously doesn't apply to me. No one I know owns a car as they're pretty pointless in London. I was considering hiring a car and asking a friend to drive me, but between the hire costs, mileage, and fuel it was looking to be upwards of £300 which I simply don't have.

Right now I'm looking at those luggage sending services for my stuff and getting the train myself. But is there anything obvious I may have overlooked?
There are sometimes plane tickets available london-edinburgh for less than a train
Reply 2
I travelled to uni by ferry and train with a suitcase and rucksack and topped up at subsequent visits home
Reply 3
Original post by blackthorne
I am a mature student and I don't drive. I live in London and will be moving to Edinburgh and am trying to figure out the best way to get myself and my belongings up there.

Most advice about travelling to uni is for teenagers who are going with their parents which obviously doesn't apply to me. No one I know owns a car as they're pretty pointless in London. I was considering hiring a car and asking a friend to drive me, but between the hire costs, mileage, and fuel it was looking to be upwards of £300 which I simply don't have.

Right now I'm looking at those luggage sending services for my stuff and getting the train myself. But is there anything obvious I may have overlooked?

You can get a single from Victoria Coach Station to Edinburgh with Megabus for just over £30. If you take a large suitcase for clothes and laptop/valuables in a bag with you on the coach, you could buy essentials once you arrive as it will probably be cheaper that shipping things up. Places like Asda do cheap duvets (£10), frying pan £5, set of 3 pans, £8, single dinner plate £1 etc.
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
There are sometimes plane tickets available london-edinburgh for less than a train

The current train prices are £23 and the coach is £30. Normally I get the coach but in this instance the train is cheaper. Also if flying I wouldn't be able to take luggage as those cheap prices don't include a luggage allowance.

I'm not planning on taking bedding and crockery with me, just my own belongings. But I definitely have more that I can take in one suitcase.
Reply 5
The train sounds best to me, London to Glasgow and then Glasgow to Edinburgh Waverly. Grab a ticket for £70, only takes 4hrs 30mins. I'd skim down on my items and fire them onto the train: a tech bag and some fancy clothes.

Buy the rest of the stuff I need from Edinburgh: bed sheets, pajamas, etc.

Don't know how feasible that is for yourself but that's how I'd go about it.
I used a luggage sending service. Huge mistake, waste of money.

I took so much stuff I didn't need - and I certainly didn't need it all at once. If I were you, I would pack light. Take what you'll need for a month and go by train/coach. Anything that can be bought there, buy it there. You can always get cheap coach tickets later on to bring extra stuff as and when as and when you need it.
After doing more research I've decided to stick with my original plan. The train direct between London and Edinburgh is only £23 (not £70 and no change at Glasgow as detailed above), and luggage sending services are £19 for a suitcase. I'm disabled so can only carry one small hand luggage sized suitcase on the train with me, so shipping is necessary if I want more than a weekends worth of clothes.

A lot of the advice above doesn't apply to my situation. I'm not taking up bedding, towels, pots and pans etc as all of that is being provided by my accommodation. The only thing I'm taking is my clothes and books. I'm not re-buying things I already own as this will cost far more than simply shipping stuff up there. I'll buy toiletries and things up there. I'm not moving into halls and I'm coming from my own flat, not a parents house. I won't be "coming home" in the holidays like younger students would, so need to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks for all the info folks! Although it wasn't helpful for me, it might be for someone else reading this. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending