The Student Room Group

I'm dumb, I need help

A teacher demonstrated the idea of a safety surface. She dropped a raw egg into a box filled with pieces of soft foam. The egg did not break. Explain why the egg is less likely to break when dropped onto soft foam rather than onto a concrete floor. (3 marks - GCSE Physics)
I'm guessing because it's 3 marks you have to talk about more than just hardness and softness. When in doubt, I find talking about energy or forces always gets me some marks.

If you drop it onto a concrete floor, how much energy is that going to absorb? Pretty much none, right? Most of the energy is going straight back into that egg, and it's going to break.

Now, if you cushion the landing to hell and back, that's going to absorb much more energy, and it stands a chance of not breaking.
Reply 2
Original post by Filthy Communist
I'm guessing because it's 3 marks you have to talk about more than just hardness and softness. When in doubt, I find talking about energy or forces always gets me some marks.

If you drop it onto a concrete floor, how much energy is that going to absorb? Pretty much none, right? Most of the energy is going straight back into that egg, and it's going to break.

Now, if you cushion the landing to hell and back, that's going to absorb much more energy, and it stands a chance of not breaking.

Oh thanks, this makes sense now! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest