lol9812
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys does anyone know the answer to this or how you would work it out? I have never seen a question like this before

The gold foil is:
• 4.00 × 10–7 metres thick
• 2400 atoms thick.
What is the diameter of one gold atom in metres?
Give your answer to 3 significant figures.
Glockity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so 2400 atoms are 4x10^-7 m thick therefore 1 atom would be (4x10^-7) / 2400 I think.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lol9812)
Hi guys does anyone know the answer to this or how you would work it out? I have never seen a question like this before

The gold foil is:
• 4.00 × 10–7 metres thick
• 2400 atoms thick.
What is the diameter of one gold atom in metres?
Give your answer to 3 significant figures.
Hi good to see you are laughing - my grandad [in India] goes to a laughing club where people get hysterical without any jokes lol - bit of physiology for you laughing releases endorphins and encephalins [the natural opioids - morphine-like substances] in your body, so you feel happy even in these tough times - now I am laughing cos I am happy for you!! :lol:

Coming to the point, yes Glockity is q right [except I am not sure why he/she has an abbreviation for "litre" at the end].

So,
Diameter = 4 X 10^-7/2400 m
................= 4000 X 10^-10/2400 m
................= 1.67 X 10^-10 m

ALWAYS QUICKLY CHECK YOUR ANSWER, yeah? [we are reducing the value of 4 X 10^-7 by a factor of about 1/4 of 10000, agreed? - (1/4 of 10000 is 2500) [simple mental maths, which you will need if by chance you are doing the UCAT exam for medicine] - so dividing the thickness of foil by 10000 gives about 4 X 10^-11 then multiplying by 4 gives 16 X 10^-11, which is nearly exactly the same as the answer in bold - yippee!! Ok sorry, now your belly is in agony - lol even more: sorry!! :sorry:

Be safe!
M.
Glockity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi good to see you are laughing - my grandad [in India] goes to a laughing club where people get hysterical without any jokes lol - bit of physiology for you laughing releases endorphins and encephalins [the natural opioids - morphine-like substances] in your body, so you feel happy even in these tough times - now I am laughing cos I am happy for you!! :lol:

Coming to the point, yes Glockity is q right [except I am not sure why he/she has an abbreviation for "litre" at the end].

So,

ALWAYS QUICKLY CHECK YOUR ANSWER, yeah? [we are reducing the value of 4 X 10^-7 by a factor of about 1/4 of 10000, agreed? - (1/4 of 10000 is 2500) [simple mental maths, which you will need if by chance you are doing the UCAT exam for medicine] - so dividing the thickness of foil by 10000 gives about 4 X 10^-11 then multiplying by 4 gives 16 X 10^-11, which is nearly exactly the same as the answer in bold - yippee!! Ok sorry, now your belly is in agony - lol even more: sorry!! :sorry:

Be safe!
M.
wait wheres the litre abbreviation
lol9812
Rep:
?

So,

Be safe!
M.
Thank you!!!! x
lol9812
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glockity)
so 2400 atoms are 4x10^-7 m thick therefore 1 atom would be (4x10^-7) / 2400 I think.
It says to round to 3.s.f- what would i put for that?
Glockity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lol9812)
It says to round to 3.s.f- what would i put for that?
1.67 X 10^-10 m - what this guy said, 3 sigfigs is the first three digits along with the x10^-10
lol9812
Rep:
?
1.67 X 10^-10 m - what this guy said, 3 sigfigs is the first three digits along with the x10^-10
okay thanks x
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wait wheres the litre abbreviation
Sorry but there seems to be an "l" at the end of the line [after /2400], is there not?
Glockity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry but there seems to be an "l" at the end of the line [after /2400], is there not?
thats an i think but i capitalised
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thats an i think but i capitalised
Omg - apologies Glockity, I must have skimmed through your post rather hurriedly and misread your sentence.

I hope you have not taken the undeserved insult to your knowledge of SI units to heart!
Glockity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Omg - apologies Glockity, I must have skimmed through your post rather hurriedly and misread your sentence.

I hope you have not taken the undeserved insult to your knowledge of SI units to heart!
oh its fine lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed