New homes or old homes?

Watch
Kfc man
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which is better? My parents said older homes are better built but you get a warranty with new build
Lxttie02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Older Homes for sure they will have more character and new homes tend to be quick built for cheap so the quality of material gone into the house and the labour of the builders is less compared to older houses.
Last edited by Lxttie02; 1 month ago
Lxttie02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That's offensive to people who live in new houses, I have just moved into an new home with my mates and it has so much more character than a old house you son of a *****
It's not really it's just facts. And it all comes down to personal preference too such as modern style, old, minimalist. Its the way you have took it which is offensive to you.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kfc man)
Which is better? My parents said older homes are better built but you get a warranty with new build
All my mates who work in the trades tell me they wont buy a new build.

Apparently standards are pretty low atm, its a shame as new builds allow some much better designed internet and media infrastructure but the structural, fittings & furnishings just arent as good as older homes.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kfc man)
New homes are cheaper to heat - old homes can also have structural issues. A 17th century house near me was extended and they discovered the back wall was not built of proper stone but lots of 'bits' - maaively expensive to sort out.
Lxttie02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not facts you prick, you said its down to personal preference and I think new home is ****ing better
I honestly don't know why your getting to annoyed lol
Characteristics inside the house is what I meant. Like someone else said new builds will have more modern design and more elaborate layouts but regarding the material the house is built with the quality just isn't there.
Lxttie02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you ****ing skunked!
I never challenged your opinion and if you prefer modern houses that's what you prefer. I was just writing to help a tread starter out seems like your on here for the wrong reasons
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anon #1 is clearly very passionate about this. I'm sure they love their dull, white box rooms.

Anyway... old homes win for me. I like the higher ceilings and details, and they also tend to be in better locations. I find new-builds are all on random plots of land with way too many houses cramped up together. And they always look the same.
Lxttie02
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are really p*ssing man off you d*ck head
Mate I haven't done whats so ever except express an opinion. You can't seem to handle it. But i'm done with this conversation now. Enjoy your new house
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Anon #1 is clearly very passionate about this. I'm sure they love their dull, white box rooms.

Anyway... old homes win for me. I like the higher ceilings and details, and they also tend to be in better locations. I find new-builds are all on random plots of land with way too many houses cramped up together. And they always look the same.
They make it to what colours you want you *****
TFEU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are so many stunning old homes but I much prefer the modern ones.

If your budget allows, you can always build your own home. You will be able to oversee the entire process and make sure ppl won’t cheap out on you. You will also be involved in the design process which allows you to form a better bond with ur home.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I prefer old homes and won't consider living in a new build house or apartment.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'Older' doesn't have to mean old, as in 19th century or further back. I own a 1950s house and it's a nice size for me, easy to keep warm (there's been winter days when I don't have the heating on), has some clever built-in storage and a big garden. I've lived in a new flat for work and it was poorly designed, had leaks and hence mould as bathrooms weren't properly vented, and you could hear everything from the neighbours as it was so flimsy. I had a look at new(ish) builds when looking to buy and some had 2nd bedrooms where you could fit in a bed and nothing else, but also a main bathroom and a big ensuite! Pointless.
Redfrost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lxttie02)
It's not really it's just facts. And it all comes down to personal preference too such as modern style, old, minimalist. Its the way you have took it which is offensive to you.
It’s not fact though. There’s pro’s and cons.

Older homes have character, may be more solid structurally (albeit the odd hole in the wall/ floor/wear etc). They are also generally more spacious.

However new homes are perhaps not as solid but have numerous advantages over older buildings
-more safely built (no asbestos /fire ******ant issues)
- more energy efficient (they heat up in no time)
- less issues with drainage. Some older homes share sewage drains with storm drains increasing the risk of sewage backup
etc

So yea it’s pro’s and con’s
iamthicccccc1405
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I say old, because my dream house is an old 2 story blue Victorian house with a wrap around porch and one of those little tower things haha
AF2Dr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on what you want, I guess. I'd prefer a new build.
MechanicalOnion
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What I really love are sandstone tenements such as those found in Glasgow. Only pain with them is that typically the plumbing and wiring is erm, antique, and heating is quite expensive.
sufys12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Old homes.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iamthicccccc1405)
I say old, because my dream house is an old 2 story blue Victorian house with a wrap around porch and one of those little tower things haha
What part of London are you from?
iamthicccccc1405
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What part of London are you from?
I'm from the US, South Carolina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.67%
No (77)
73.33%

Watched Threads