The Student Room Group

(edited 2 years ago)
I am a year 13 student and I do A level AQA psychology- I am sure you have heard this before but it is pretty content heavy. The exam technique isn't hard, in my opinion, but it is a lot of content. Make your revision materials as you go (this is key)- condense it down as well. Do a lot of practise questions (especially 16 markers). I think it can be quite hard to get an A*, although I have never tried lol so don't take my word on that one.

I would say it is a good subject to take but do look at the syllabus (+maybe past papers) because I think a lot of people don't and then don't really know what they are expecting - this can lead to disappointment or sometimes its just not the right subject for them. This sort of applies to all subjects really but I have seen a lot of people in my class regret taking it.
Original post by users73o
Haha i feel like im going to start off good and fail at the end was the content intresting?

In case you haven't had a look yet, these are the topics:
Compulsory topics:
social influence
memory
attachment
psychopathology
approaches
research methods
issues and debates
Optional ones (the ones in bold are the ones that my college chose from the list)
(option 1)
Relationships
(Option 2)
Schizophrenia
eating behaviour
stress
(option 3)
aggression
forensic psychology
addiction

Your sixth form/college has to choose 1 option from each option category. In my personal opinion overall it was interesting. The least interesting topics, in my opinion, are: research methods and issues and debates. You will have to do a lot of research methods so be prepared. In my opinion if you are interested enough in the other topics then research methods will be less painful. It does depend how your college/sixth form teaches it though as my college teaches it throughout the 2 years, intertwining it so you don't really get a break from it. That being said, I have now got a taster about what studying psychology is actually like and learnt more than I thought I would.

You won't fail- a lot of people in my class put in the bare minimal and are on track for Cs and Bs. Obviously, I would not advise doing this as it is stressful when you get to the end of year 13 but if you revise a bit throughout then it'll be easier to get good grades.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:
Original post by users73o
thank you soo much how was forensic psychology btw

Forensic psychology was good- we did offending profiling, biological explanations of offending behaviour, psychological explanations of offending behaviour and then dealing with offending behaviour. It wasn't a very long topic, or at least it wasn't for me as we learnt it in lockdown, but it was certainly interesting and we got to watch some documentaries which was nice.

I would try and find out which topics your college/sixth form does, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending