The Student Room Group

Where do find work experience

Im currently interested in getting work experience for my postgraduate studies. I am interested in neuropsychology/neuroscience but im finding it so hard to find any because of covid. Any suggestion? :frown:
Talk to your university, they should really know more about this (even better your department)

Wish I could help some more
Original post by Cfcds
Im currently interested in getting work experience for my postgraduate studies. I am interested in neuropsychology/neuroscience but im finding it so hard to find any because of covid. Any suggestion? :frown:

Hello!

My friend was in a similar position when looking for work experience (undergrad) but went straight to the careers team at our university. I would really recommend this resource as they have so many contacts and will be very knowledgeable about the whole process. They can hopefully guide you in the best direction for finding work experience and can also help you with your CV and applications. You can also speak with your personal tutor and any lecturers as they will have a lot of industry experience and be a part of groups that may offer work experience.

Best of luck! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Cfcds

Hi @Cfcds,

This is very understandable, work experience has become a lot harder to achieve with Covid. I would suggest utilising your lecturers connections in the field or going to your careers hub for guidance.

Additionally, persistence is key! it can be discouraging if you get rejections or just find it difficult to find any vacancies but keep trying!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student ambassador
Original post by Cfcds

Hi there!

I understand how hard it is when looking for work experience, especially during COVID. However my suggestion is to keep persevering, the hard work and stress of searching will all pay off soon. Have you tried to talk to your university? They may be able to provide you with advice such as CV advice, interview advice etc, and may even advise you on some places of where to look. When it comes to work experience, its all about being proactive, so I would recommended maybe contacting departments of neuropsychology/neuroscience in hospitals to see if there's a chance of you doing work experience there. Sometimes, it can feel really hard to reach out yourself and ask if they have any work experience available, but by being proactive and asking you may actually find that they can offer you it, if that makes sense.

I hope this helps!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)

Quick Reply

Latest