The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Transferring uni after a foundation year?

I'm planning to do a foundation year in Science at Kingston University, I've actually requested a course change, I applied to do a BSc in Geography but I realised I really don't want to do that, tbh I only chose it because I couldn't see any other way, I'm currently in a gap year because my A-levels weren't good. Anyways my question is, would I be able to transfer to KCL to do a science undergraduate degree after completing my foundation year? Or would it be best to stay at Kingston university to progress into an undergraduate degree?
Original post by sadia2604
I'm planning to do a foundation year in Science at Kingston University, I've actually requested a course change, I applied to do a BSc in Geography but I realised I really don't want to do that, tbh I only chose it because I couldn't see any other way, I'm currently in a gap year because my A-levels weren't good. Anyways my question is, would I be able to transfer to KCL to do a science undergraduate degree after completing my foundation year? Or would it be best to stay at Kingston university to progress into an undergraduate degree?

You need to speak to KCL to ask if they accept the Kingston foundation year for entry onto the degree you’re interested in
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by sadia2604
Would I be able to transfer to KCL to do a science undergraduate degree after completing my foundation year?
Or would it be best to stay at Kingston university to progress into an undergraduate degree?

Its very unlikely that KCL would accept a Kingston Foundation. Usually Unis will only accept a Foundation from a 'parallel' Uni - ie. for KCL, from another RG Uni. Just remember that you'd be competing with people with A*A*A* predictions - why would they see a Year 0 from a much lower Uni as preferably? If you want a shot at KCL etc, then retake your A levels and aim that high.

Yes, it would be much more realistic for you to stay at Kingston. Entry to that degree is what that Year 0 is designed for. And you'd feel settled at that Uni, have friends there etc.
There was a chap on TSR who transferred from a foundation year at a 'lower university' to a BSc at a 'higher university' in the olden days

Story seems plausible IMO though he doesn't really explore the reasons why he didn't do very well at his A levels despite being quite a lowkey clever clogs - the unis being applied to set him attainment targets to hit on the foundation course.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

no reason not to try it if that's what you fancy doing - but you'll probably need to be showing you're doing very well on the foundation, not just scraping through with bare pass marks.
It’s worth remembering that London universities tend to be a bit more incestuous than most (london based staff move around universities without as much russell group snobbery as you get outside London). So depending on the subject KCL will likely have some experience with students from the Kingston foundation (and vice versa). It’s familiarity and confidence in the course content that KCL will be looking for.

I would definitely recommend having a conversation with them (if you can’t ring them up then see if they’re running any online open events where you can ask questions). And if they’re encouraging ask them if they can email you to confirm what they say.

Likewise it’s also worth speaking to Kingston about whether they support foundation year students applying elsewhere and if so where foundation students have moved to in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest