Aj123456aj
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was wondering if A level philosophy is hard and what the chances are for me getting an A*? I didn’t do philosophy for gcse.
Last edited by Aj123456aj; 1 month ago
Yasmink_22ln
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aj123456aj)
I was wondering if A level philosophy is hard and what the chances are for me getting an A*? I didn’t do philosophy for gcse.
Hello I do philosophy aqa for alevels I’m in yr13 it is a lot to take on but because it’s so versatile you’ll get it it’s kind of like religious studies give it a try
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yasmink_22ln)
Hello I do philosophy aqa for alevels I’m in yr13 it is a lot to take on but because it’s so versatile you’ll get it it’s kind of like religious studies give it a try
To get an A from what I know is like 80% so A* should be far
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
To get an A from what I know is like 80% so A* should be far
Thank you. How are you finding it and what are your predicted grades (only if you’re comfortable). Do you need to memorise things? Is there a structure I have to follow for an essay? How do you revise for philosophy a level?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Content-heavy but not particularly hard. It is pretty formulaic.
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on your teacher I had 2 teachers who are very helpful I’m predicted a B but I’m getting a C at the moment because we have no grace boundaries due to cancelling of exams so my C could be a B but no ones knows yet
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Content-heavy but not particularly hard. It is pretty formulaic.
Thank you. Do you enjoy it?
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
Depends on your teacher I had 2 teachers who are very helpful I’m predicted a B but I’m getting a C at the moment because we have no grace boundaries due to cancelling of exams so my C could be a B but no ones knows yet
How many hours a week do you revise for philosophy if you don’t mind me asking?
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d say 3 hours max everyday
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
I’d say 3 hours max everyday
Oh that’s a lot of hours for just 1 subject a day. How do you revise your other subjects when you spend 3 hours on just philosophy?
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I spend 3 hours on it because it’s the subject I need to pass for uni the others aren’t as important but I’d say 2hrs each
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
I spend 3 hours on it because it’s the subject I need to pass for uni the others aren’t as important but I’d say 2hrs each
How did you balance your social life etc when you studied 7 hours a day after school?
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah my friends work everyday so I usually call them and meet on the weeks ends I don’t study on the week ends unless it’s necessary
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
Yeah my friends work everyday so I usually call them and meet on the weeks ends I don’t study on the week ends unless it’s necessary
Oh ok I understand. Don’t you feel burnt out after revising so much?
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh ok I understand. Don’t you feel burnt out after revising so much?
I do but think of it as a end goal reward x
Aj123456aj
Rep:
?
I do but think of it as a end goal reward x
Oh fair enough I wish you all the best, and thank you for being so helpful!
Yasmink_22ln
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your welcome
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. Do you enjoy it?
I teach it and it's usually good fun. We set a lot of essays to get practice in, so be mindful that this may be a factor at your school, too. But the content is interesting and engaging g for the most part, and most students find they can really develop their thinking, writing, and arguing skills and enjoy it along the way.
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I teach it and it's usually good fun. We set a lot of essays to get practice in, so be mindful that this may be a factor at your school, too. But the content is interesting and engaging g for the most part, and most students find they can really develop their thinking, writing, and arguing skills and enjoy it along the way.
That's cool that you're teaching that. I'd be interested in which part of the content you think is difficult to drum up interest/engagement! For me it tends to be the 'reason as a source of knowledge' topic - innate knowledge and intuition/deduction thesis. Bit of an antiquated debate in many ways (except the waves of doubt part)... Also I know you have an interest in eastern philosophy - were you not tempted to teach religious studies A level with the Buddhism option instead? I decided to teach that to myself and start tutoring it and I've found it great for interest/engagement.
Last edited by Joe312; 4 weeks ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joe312)
That's cool that you're teaching that. I'd be interested in which part of the content you think is difficult to drum up interest/engagement! For me it tends to be the 'reason as a source of knowledge' topic - innate knowledge and intuition/deduction thesis. Bit of an antiquated debate in many ways (except the waves of doubt part)... Also I know you have an interest in eastern philosophy - were you not tempted to teach religious studies A level with the Buddhism option instead? I decided to teach that to myself and start tutoring it and I've found it great for interest/engagement.
They don't seem enthused with anything Christianity-based with the exception maybe of Situation Ethics (which I was surprised to see on the spec given that it has been pretty much ignored since the 70s :lol: ), and it can be hard to get them going sometimes. In general though I have a good bunch. Re Buddhism etc, it's the school's decision and not mine! I'd sooner do Indian philosophy all the time tbh :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.01%
England (109)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.36%
Germany (38)
11.76%
Spain (6)
1.86%