The Student Room Group

Anxiety over money

The thought of spending money makes me feel anxious, so i just don’t do it.
When i’m out with friends and we get coffee or food, i’ll eat before hand or make an excuse that I don’t want any. I love fashion and so i look online at clothing and in stores. I add stuff to my cart, but then i can never justify spending money on things so i just leave it there, till things go out of stock or i say i’d never wear then anyways. Even when i go grocery shopping. If I see something that looks good, even if it isn’t that expensive, i’ll find a way to not buy it. Like if there are two pizza’s one that has lots of toppings that i would probably enjoy. I’ll just buy a plain one. Like i just don’t deserve to eat good food. Or i don’t have any credit on my phone because i figure i could survive without it. Only last week my text didn’t go through and i waited 40 minutes for a friend to show up. Or i missed a call that could have been important. Or i need to call the doctors, so i just use someone else’s phone that has credit. My dad decided to just get me a goodybag. He got me one for £8, but i swear I don’t need it. I’d be fine with the £6 one. And i feel really guilty because of £2. Why? I don’t have a job atm. I’m looking for one. When i did work though i never spent any of the money. I’m living with my parents so i dont pay rent and bills yet, so all that money was mine to spend. And i saved all of it. I have no idea what to even do with it. And when i get my summer job, i’ll probably do the same thing again. And just sit on my money till i die. Whats the point in that? Whats wrong with me?
Reply 1
A cautious approach to spending money is a good thing that will serve you well, but perhaps you are taking it to far. Try some more budgeting. Set an amount to save each month, saving is a great habit. But also set some spending budgets for treats, clothing etc. and be committed to spending them. Prudent use of the cash you earn should be a source of happiness rather than angst

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending