The Student Room Group

Would you date a depressed girl?

Title

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even though it isn’t your job to make them feel better that doesn’t mean that someone who is considered depressed does not deserve affection.
if they themselves want to get better, then why wouldn’t you date them?
If they have taken the initial first step to the road to recovery, that means that they are motivated to try to work on themselves and get better meaning that they wouldn’t make you feel bad in a relationship, and maybe your presence in their life would actually motivate them further to get better sooner. But if you see that the initial first step is taking two steps back then that means that they are not ready for a relationship and you should not be wasting your time, your energy or your feelings.
However, people with depression to have good days and bad days so if you’re someone that is patient and willing to help them partly through it (as long as they are also trying their best to help themselves) then I don’t see why you can’t.
no
Of course. If anything, it is probably even better having someone who has personal experience and understanding of your own problems. They will know (roughly) what you are going through, will probably have some ideas of their own on what to do/say when one is going though a rough period, and are less likely to have bought into the 'it's all in your head, go play some sports xx' attitude that many have. Mutual understanding and compassion can be a huge beneficial factor.
Depends if you find depression sexy
No.
I'm a heterosexual female.
I wouldn't date or get closely involved with a very depressed guy.
(edited 2 years ago)
No that would be unhealthy for both parties in the relationship. If I was already in a long term relationship with someone and they then had depression then I'd stay and help them through it but if it's at the start then no.
I'm straight so no lol. But I wouldn't date a depressed guy.
I suppose, but it'd depend on how they were dealing with it.
No.
If it happens during the relationship, Im gonna assume it's me, and talk to them and try and sort it out.
If they're depressed at the beginning and do nothing to sort it out/get better a bit, then I'm sorry but nope.
@Lwexi12 🤔?
I would, because honestly why should that be a factor in whether you would date someone or not. On that note, it's plausable that you wouldn't know that said girl is depressed, not many people will outright tell you something like that; some people can hide it rather well.
If they are in an ok place for a relationship then sure. If it's severe and they're not, then no.

Also while I'd obviously support someone, I wouldn't want to be a full-time therapist for them. (hence the minimally stable requirement)
Original post by yeetouttawindow
no

Same
No. My own mental health issues are enough.
Original post by the_pharaoh
@Lwexi12 🤔?

wowwwwowowowoww
Original post by Lwexi12
wowwwwowowowoww

I literally didnt say anything 😂
No way ever. Even non-depressed women can be fragile and emotionally unstable sometimes - imagine how bad they would be with a diagnosis of clinical depression. :frown: Women also have a higher predisposition to depression and bipolar disorder than men, so it's actually worth making sure any girl you date is in a healthy frame of mind and takes care of her mental health before you take your relationship further.
Yes I don't mind as long as they were open to receiving treatment and care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending