If I want to do psych at uni do I defo need to do the a level or can I do the applied

Watch
amelia1234567891
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Can I do applied btec psych, is that also accepted the same
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes for the majority.

Go on potential university course pages and see what their entry requirements are.
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(For reference - you don't need to have any previous experience with psychology before applying to a uni course anyway. I never studied it before my degree!)
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,

While I did an A-Level in Psychology, you can still apply and be accepted into a Psychology degree without prior qualifications in that subject area, it is just an added bonus - for me, it gave me extra knowledge on general ideas in Psychology which helped me in certain modules throughout my degree! Most universities provide entry requirements in detail of what they require you to have. For example, applying for BSc Psychology at Arden requires "two subjects at GCE A-Level or equivalent, plus passes at grade C or above in three subjects at GCSE level including Maths or equivalent". From what I know, applied Psychology BTEC is the equivalent of one full A-Level and is widely recognised!

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
GoldenCrow
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by amelia1234567891)
You don't even need an A-level in psychology to do it at Uni, some would rather want their students to have some background in science, like biology or chemistry. But to answer your question, yes, most Universities do accept it. However, it's always best to check your desired Uni's entry requirements.
amelia1234567891
Rep:
?
(Original post by eduorclinpsych)
Yes for the majority.

Go on potential university course pages and see what their entry requirements are.
Thanks!
amelia1234567891
Rep:
?
(Original post by GoldenCrow)
You don't even need an A-level in psychology to do it at Uni, some would rather want their students to have some background in science, like biology or chemistry. But to answer your question, yes, most Universities do accept it. However, it's always best to check your desired Uni's entry requirements.
Thanks!

(Original post by Arden University)
Hi there,

While I did an A-Level in Psychology, you can still apply and be accepted into a Psychology degree without prior qualifications in that subject area, it is just an added bonus - for me, it gave me extra knowledge on general ideas in Psychology which helped me in certain modules throughout my degree! Most universities provide entry requirements in detail of what they require you to have. For example, applying for BSc Psychology at Arden requires "two subjects at GCE A-Level or equivalent, plus passes at grade C or above in three subjects at GCSE level including Maths or equivalent". From what I know, applied Psychology BTEC is the equivalent of one full A-Level and is widely recognised!

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
Thanks !
Cloudsandstars
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! Psychology graduate here! You don’t need to have an A-level in psychology to get accepted. I didn’t have one and I got in first application. It just helps maybe? I’m unsure but universities rarely ask for it as it’s not commonly taught across the UK
Liverpoolnat82
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there I have a Psychology degree and I never studied it at a level as it wasn’t even an option in my sixth form!
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check the entry requirements of universities you like the look of. Most don't require any sort of specific a-level / btec, whilst some just require any science subject (such as biology or chemistry).
nickymoon22
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well, this year I'm going to University to do Psychology with a placement year and I did Psychology in Sixth form. I guess it depends on the university and what they want in their entry requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads