The Student Room Group

Converting a secondment into permanent work?

I imagine this comes of as a stupid question, probably because it is, but I'm starting my first year soon and have always wanted to live/work in America. If i secure a TC and then go on to do a secondment in the firms offices located in the US, would i be able to convert that somehow into permanent work there?
Potentially, I would suggest looking at firms that have an office in New York (because you can sit the New York bar exam with a 3 year LLB) and work towards securing a contract with one of those firms. People often do 4 seats in their TC and qualify into their last seat.

There is the potential, but it is unlikely. Worth getting some vac schemes at those firms and asking while you are there. Alternatively, look at Amicus as a possibility.
Original post by Jdjdjdjdjd
I imagine this comes of as a stupid question, probably because it is, but I'm starting my first year soon and have always wanted to live/work in America. If i secure a TC and then go on to do a secondment in the firms offices located in the US, would i be able to convert that somehow into permanent work there?

I’ve gotta say I can’t see that being a likely scenario. You’re expected to return to the firm you trained at when you begin as an associate. I know that some later go on to move and work at their firms situated abroad too but that’s usually available when you’re more senior.

I have never heard of someone managing to qualify abroad simply because they sat 1 seat in that office. I would suggest if your goal is to qualify in US, look for more direct routes.
Reply 3
Original post by sublime-baths
I’ve gotta say I can’t see that being a likely scenario. You’re expected to return to the firm you trained at when you begin as an associate. I know that some later go on to move and work at their firms situated abroad too but that’s usually available when you’re more senior.

I have never heard of someone managing to qualify abroad simply because they sat 1 seat in that office. I would suggest if your goal is to qualify in US, look for more direct routes.

Thanks for the replies. I expected about as much, however qualifying in the US seems equally difficult! Ive heard they don't value UK LLB's much since it has practically no relevance in the US.

Quick Reply

Latest