a.non4
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Help!!! Ive wanted to start on my EPQ for a while now, i'm looking to do classic and english at uni (i'm currently in Year 12) and wanted to base myEPQ on metamorphoses by Ovid but i don't have any topic questions to base my essay on. Any suggestions are welcome
c.aux18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Oh my goodness - what a fantastic idea. I did mine on a Classics/English focus (A study of one of Virginia Woolf's novels using Hamlet and the Metamorphoses as ancillary comparative texts) - I had a tremendous time and achieved an A*.

There's rich and varied criticism of the Metamorphoses on JSTOR for example, plenty of printed books too, and I would strongly advise either taking the route of comparing an English text with Classical inspiration to the Met. or comparing Classical texts to each other (you could compare Ovid's Amores to Catullus' work in a variety of ways for example, and that would lend itself to many topics). The tradition of Roman love elegy is has a strong founding in criticism.

One word of warning - the Metamorphoses is HUGE, so I'd advise taking a couple of books in isolation to examine closely.

The themes of Chaos and Creation, Lust, Appearance and Reality, and Transformations are some of the most dominant themes in the Metamorphoses if you want to pursue any of those.

If you have any other questions/concerns, do let me know! Hope you enjoy the EPQ
a.non4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by c.aux18)
Oh my goodness - what a fantastic idea. I did mine on a Classics/English focus (A study of one of Virginia Woolf's novels using Hamlet and the Metamorphoses as ancillary comparative texts) - I had a tremendous time and achieved an A*.

There's rich and varied criticism of the Metamorphoses on JSTOR for example, plenty of printed books too, and I would strongly advise either taking the route of comparing an English text with Classical inspiration to the Met. or comparing Classical texts to each other (you could compare Ovid's Amores to Catullus' work in a variety of ways for example, and that would lend itself to many topics). The tradition of Roman love elegy is has a strong founding in criticism.

One word of warning - the Metamorphoses is HUGE, so I'd advise taking a couple of books in isolation to examine closely.

The themes of Chaos and Creation, Lust, Appearance and Reality, and Transformations are some of the most dominant themes in the Metamorphoses if you want to pursue any of those.

If you have any other questions/concerns, do let me know! Hope you enjoy the EPQ
ahhh thank you so much for the amazing suggestions I was truly doubting whether I would receive any replies. And yes I have recently purchased The Metamorphoses annotated version and it's definitely a lot but really can't wait to get started. Also, I will be taking up your advice on comparing an English text to a classic piece as I feel it goes a lot better with the course I would like to do in uni. Again many thanks for such insightful advice ☺️
c.aux18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by a.non4)
ahhh thank you so much for the amazing suggestions I was truly doubting whether I would receive any replies. And yes I have recently purchased The Metamorphoses annotated version and it's definitely a lot but really can't wait to get started. Also, I will be taking up your advice on comparing an English text to a classic piece as I feel it goes a lot better with the course I would like to do in uni. Again many thanks for such insightful advice ☺️
Glad I could offer some advice! I really hope you enjoy your EPQ and make the most of it as a chance to explore a topic you're passionate about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.9%
October 2021 (193)
45.95%
November 2021 (43)
10.24%
December 2021 (56)
13.33%
January 2021 (46)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.29%