cheeseQ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,I am currently prospecting to apply for MFin/ MFE programs in the U.S. from a UK school. Would really appreciate if it is possible for someone with similar experiences to discuss on the process and comment on my profile.
Academics: GPA: 2:1
Major: penultimate year Math and Stats at one of Oxbridge
Internship Experience:
  1. E-Trading at a top BB (one of GS and the Morgans) this upcoming summer
  2. Strategy consulting at one of the Big 4
  3. Management consulting at a boutique (think LEK/IQVIA/RB)
Would appreciate to get an idea of my chance applying to programs like MIT/ Princeton MFin, Stanford ICME, UChicage FMath, or Columbia MFE. Or perhaps whether I should pursue further a MFE degree at all suppose I can get a return offer at the BB that I will be interning at?Really appreciate any help!
Last edited by cheeseQ; 1 month ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cheeseQ)
Hi,I am currently prospecting to apply for MFin/ MFE programs in the U.S. from a UK school. Would really appreciate if it is possible for someone with similar experiences to discuss on the process and comment on my profile.
Academics: GPA: 2:1
Major: penultimate year Math and Stats at one of Oxbridge
Internship Experience:
  1. E-Trading at a top BB (one of GS and the Morgans) this upcoming summer
  2. Strategy consulting at one of the Big 4
  3. Management consulting at a boutique (think LEK/IQVIA/RB)

Would appreciate to get an idea of my chance applying to programs like MIT/ Princeton MFin, Stanford ICME, UChicage FMath, or Columbia MFE. Or perhaps whether I should pursue further a MFE degree at all suppose I can get a return offer at the BB that I will be interning at?Really appreciate any help!
I assume you've seen how expensive they are? For example MIT's MFin is $130,000 for tuition and living costs for the 12 month program? It's obviously gonna be the best program in the world but it is quite expensive haha.

Surely this all depends on what your career goals are? To me it's only worth even considering if either you're 100% sure that you'll want to live in the US at some point, or if you don't think you'd be able to do well in IB trading teams/get into HF's or quant funds with just your undergrad. If you're happy to work in London then you could just look at Oxford's MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance course? It would just a fraction of the price.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 1 month ago
cheeseQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
I assume you've seen how expensive they are? For example MIT's MFin is $130,000 for tuition and living costs for the 12 month program? It's obviously gonna be the best program in the world but it is quite expensive haha.

Surely this all depends on what your career goals are? To me it's only worth even considering if either you're 100% sure that you'll want to live in the US at some point, or if you don't think you'd be able to do well in IB trading teams/get into HF's or quant funds with just your undergrad. If you're happy to work in London then you could just look at Oxford's MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance course? It would just a fraction of the price.
I think I will be able to easily get a return offer from my summer internship at BB, but the 40% tax rate and living cost in Canary Wharf are really scary. I used to live in the US for a bounch of years, so I kinda miss there.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I will be able to easily get a return offer from my summer internship at BB, but the 40% tax rate and living cost in Canary Wharf are really scary. I used to live in the US for a bounch of years, so I kinda miss there.
Yeah imagine the government taking your hard earned income and using it to pay for the education of children or the healing of the sick..... Absolutely disgraceful of a government... 😅 If you think Canary Wharf is expensive, try Manhattan.

But yes if you see yourself working in the US and can afford it, then surely it makes sense to at least apply. I think you might have to sit the GRE/GMAT tho to gain entry, your undegrad won't be enough. I think many of them also interview candidates. I'm sure you'd land top jobs with just your undegrad but getting a master's from one of these will certainly set you in the future.
cheeseQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Yeah imagine the government taking your hard earned income and using it to pay for the education of children or the healing of the sick..... Absolutely disgraceful of a government... 😅 If you think Canary Wharf is expensive, try Manhattan.

But yes if you see yourself working in the US and can afford it, then surely it makes sense to at least apply. I think you might have to sit the GRE/GMAT tho to gain entry, your undegrad won't be enough. I think many of them also interview candidates. I'm sure you'd land top jobs with just your undegrad but getting a master's from one of these will certainly set you in the future.
Just a disclaimer I'm not British/European, so I already paid three times other people's tuition to feed the poor in the UK.

But ya, GRE is quite easy and really wanna at least get out of humdrum Oxford so I will at least try.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a disclaimer I'm not British/European, so I already paid three times other people's tuition to feed the poor in the UK.

But ya, GRE is quite easy and really wanna at least get out of humdrum Oxford so I will at least try.
That tuition goes to the university not the public but I get your point.

Yeah tbh I'd say go for it, perhaps you could try to find out whether there are any people at uni who can offer advice for US admissions? You may as well try.
sammu1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You would be much better off getting a return offer rather than an expensive MFE. How would you be able to fund it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.38%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.37%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.79%

Watched Threads