The Student Room Group

Should I Do Computing at A-Level

Unfortunately, I never got to do Computing as a GCSE, however I was wondering if I could do it for A-Level without GCSE knowledge? I have an interest in it but I’m not sure if it’s the right choice
If you have an interest then, go ahead. You might find out you would like to do a career in computer science. However, you have to put in more effort in a-level than people at GCSE.Also, you can do computer science at uni without the a-level; maths is usually sufficient. If you do decide to do the a-level I suggest going over gcse content during the summer holidays; there are amazing videos by the YouTuber craigndave.
What other A Levels do you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by emek4official
What other A Levels do you want to do?

I was thinking of doing biology and psychology alongside it
Original post by Hsianbdmsl
Unfortunately, I never got to do Computing as a GCSE, however I was wondering if I could do it for A-Level without GCSE knowledge? I have an interest in it but I’m not sure if it’s the right choice

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

If it a subject you enjoy and are interested in then go for it. Especially if you may consider going in to it after A-levels. Most A-levels such as computing usually start learning from basics anyway as quite a lot of schools may not offer computing GCSE's, but it is best to check this with the college/sixth from you intend to study at.

I hope this helps,
Ethan - UOP Rep
Reply 5
I would recommend you try learning the basics of python, it is essential knowledge for anyone doing GCSE or A-level computer science. There are plenty of helpful guides online. If you pick that up easily / enjoy it then I would recommend doing A-level computing
Reply 6
Original post by Hsianbdmsl

Hi, I currently do computing A level without having done the GCSE. Its a great subject if you have a strong interest and will open so many pathways. Don't feel you would be disadvantaged, I did at the beginning but with the effort you'll go a long way . There are a few math related topics so computer science and math would make a great combo depending on your other subjects. I definitly recommend practicing coding and little man computer. Keep an open mind with the theory, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest