The Student Room Group

Is investment banking + finance in general greedy?

In general, are they seen as greedy professions?

I wouldn't think accountants are greedy but investment banking does seem to sacrifice many hours for more money + I've heard horror stories about the toxic workplace culture.

Do these jobs promote greed?
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh. I'll be honest I haven't really checked the average salary for accountants mostly because I know that I'll be able to just live off of it.

Is that why it's so competitive? Because of the big salaries? Would you say that it's worth it?
Do you regret going into finance? Or was the money worth it? :tongue:
:eek: yeah banking definelty isn't for me. Even if I get paid 80k-100k, it's just not worth it in my eyes!

I'm looking to go into charity accounting or maybe work for the entertainment industry, perhaps a small music business. Lol I'm just looking to live peacefully- I get why people might want to go into banking and trading tho.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you!
Original post by Oceanwater
In general, are they seen as greedy professions?

I wouldn't think accountants are greedy but investment banking does seem to sacrifice many hours for more money + I've heard horror stories about the toxic workplace culture.

Do these jobs promote greed?

Well is investment banking greedy? No, investment banking is just servicing the financial needs of companies, in the same way you go to a bank for a mortgage or leasing company to finance a car. Companies need to raise money/re-structure/merge/go public....

Are the people greedy, I would say investment bankers are highly ambitious driven but they are not making mega millions, most make mid 6 figures and many only stay 1-3 years.

Now people who work in trading, financial market sales etc. I think their is a bigger argument for these people being greedy, but again most people here really aren't at the high stakes. Now no doubt their are probably greedy people in this area although generally speaking the way these people work is they aim to mutually align their financial interests with that of the clients (now the clients are often pension funds, hedge funds...). Also id say these people are as greedy as anyone buying bitcoin, signing up to some forex platform they saw on Instagram. The biggest difference between them is people who work in finance are more successful as they spend a lot more time & resources into actually understanding the markets.

So yes their are probably 'greedy' people, but I dont think they are any more greedy then other people, they are just more successful.
Original post by mnot
Well is investment banking greedy? No, investment banking is just servicing the financial needs of companies, in the same way you go to a bank for a mortgage or leasing company to finance a car. Companies need to raise money/re-structure/merge/go public....

Are the people greedy, I would say investment bankers are highly ambitious driven but they are not making mega millions, most make mid 6 figures and many only stay 1-3 years.

Now people who work in trading, financial market sales etc. I think their is a bigger argument for these people being greedy, but again most people here really aren't at the high stakes. Now no doubt their are probably greedy people in this area although generally speaking the way these people work is they aim to mutually align their financial interests with that of the clients (now the clients are often pension funds, hedge funds...). Also id say these people are as greedy as anyone buying bitcoin, signing up to some forex platform they saw on Instagram. The biggest difference between them is people who work in finance are more successful as they spend a lot more time & resources into actually understanding the markets.

So yes their are probably 'greedy' people, but I dont think they are any more greedy then other people, they are just more successful.

Okay :biggrin:
Reply 7
what job do u have now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending