The Student Room Group

What happens if students cheat or attempt to cheat on mocks this year?

I know people in my school who have cheated and tried to cheat on mocks, and I’m thinking of reporting it but I don’t know what will come of it. If I report them to the exam boards directly, what will happen to them? Because I know in previous years, cheating on mocks would be dealt with internally since it’s an internal examination, but this year even though they’re internal exams they are being used to predict grades for the external qualification, so will the exam boards take action or not?

Am I better off telling my school or the exam boards?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could report them to both, most likely the school would not care.

I'm not sure how they would do it at your school but at my younger brother's school, they're not just using the mocks as a be all end all grade, they are going to look at students throughout year 10 and 11.

Although your teachers should be able to tell if the work you produced was something your capable of or if you have suddenly gone from Es and Us to As and A*s.
Original post by Username5532197
I know people in my school who have cheated and tried to cheat on mocks, and I’m thinking of reporting it but I don’t know what will come of it. If I report them to the exam boards directly, what will happen to them? Because I know in previous years, cheating on mocks would be dealt with internally since it’s an internal examination, but this year even though they’re internal exams they are being used to predict grades for the external qualification, so will the exam boards take action or not?

Am I better off telling my school or the exam boards?

I don’t think any thing will happen of it, unfortunately. Schools and exam boards know this is probably happening but since they don’t have a better plan, they will just let it slide.
Original post by SyedN
You could report them to both, most likely the school would not care.

I'm not sure how they would do it at your school but at my younger brother's school, they're not just using the mocks as a be all end all grade, they are going to look at students throughout year 10 and 11.

Although your teachers should be able to tell if the work you produced was something your capable of or if you have suddenly gone from Es and Us to As and A*s.

My school is using other Assessments from this year plus these mocks, not just the mocks themselves.

I think telling my school and then letting them deal with it would be best, but idk.
Original post by 5hyl33n
I don’t think any thing will happen of it, unfortunately. Schools and exam boards know this is probably happening but since they don’t have a better plan, they will just let it slide.

What if I have evidence of the students trying to cheat? If I showed that to the exam boards or school, would that make a difference do you think?

I don’t want them to be punished too harshly like disqualified or anything, but at the same time I don’t think it’s fair for them to cheat and potentially get given a higher grade based on work that isn’t theirs, you know?
Reply 5
What if I have evidence of the students trying to cheat? If I showed that to the exam boards or school, would that make a difference do you think?

I don’t want them to be punished too harshly like disqualified or anything, but at the same time I don’t think it’s fair for them to cheat and potentially get given a higher grade based on work that isn’t theirs, you know?

If you report someone for cheating, that is a very high form of academic misconduct.

If the exam board or your school take it seriously, then their grades won't be reduced they'll most likely get disqualified from that exam board. At least that how it was when I was in high school/college.
I don’t have proof of anything actually cheating but I do have some of them attempting to. I had an older sibling who sat the exams that were used for the mocks, and students knew this so I got some emails of them asking me about what’s on the exam and if I had the question paper and if yes could they have it etc, in preparation to cheat and gain an advantage. I didn’t have any knowledge or access myself so I didn’t cheat or try to either, but I have messages on social media and emails of the students asking me for the papers and unofficial mark schemes etc (none of which I had)
Original post by SyedN
If you report someone for cheating, that is a very high form of academic misconduct.

If the exam board or your school take it seriously, then their grades won't be reduced they'll most likely get disqualified from that exam board. At least that how it was when I was in high school/college.

What if they just tried to cheat but didn’t actually end up cheating? Because I only have proof of that. Will they just get grades reduced?
Yeah, I thought so :frown: idk if they did cheat or not, like if they asked me in an attempt to cheat I feel like they might have asked someone else and maybe got the papers/mark scheme from somewhere else, but I don’t have proof of it. But I know for a fact 100% that they tried to cheat but I guess yeah, if they didn’t actually end up cheating successfully there’s not much that can be done.

I think I will still tell my school though because I think since there’s a risk they might have cheated or not, it’s best for the mocks not be used for those students and fair for me and others. But yeah, I guess telling the exam boards and showing them the emails probably won’t amount to much since there’s no proof they actually did cheat
I don’t have proof of anything actually cheating but I do have some of them attempting to. I had an older sibling who sat the exams that were used for the mocks, and students knew this so I got some emails of them asking me about what’s on the exam and if I had the question paper and if yes could they have it etc, in preparation to cheat and gain an advantage. I didn’t have any knowledge or access myself so I didn’t cheat or try to either, but I have messages on social media and emails of the students asking me for the papers and unofficial mark schemes etc (none of which I had)

If you go ahead and do this, there is a chance that the teachers might ask you to prove that you didn’t cheat. It won’t just be a case of those students that cheated, papers being cancelled. They will probably scrap everyone’s and make you do another one. This won’t stop them cheating.
Reply 10

So you know they tried, not that they did. And the fact that they were asking you means that they believe you did have access, so in accusing the others, the school and the board would doubt your honesty. Not worth it!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
If you go ahead and do this, there is a chance that the teachers might ask you to prove that you didn’t cheat. It won’t just be a case of those students that cheated, papers being cancelled. They will probably scrap everyone’s and make you do another one. This won’t stop them cheating.

I didn’t cheat, and I know I can’t prove that but I’m willing to do another mock if that’s the case, because I know my capability. But I guess you’re right, it won’t stop them from cheating again.

If I took it to the exam board directly, do you think they would take action or not? Given that it was after all an internal assessment and there’s no proof they DID cheat, they just tried to? I thought attempting to cheat was malpractice and was punishable?
I didn’t cheat, and I know I can’t prove that but I’m willing to do another mock if that’s the case, because I know my capability. But I guess you’re right, it won’t stop them from cheating again.

If I took it to the exam board directly, do you think they would take action or not? Given that it was after all an internal assessment and there’s no proof they DID cheat, they just tried to? I thought attempting to cheat was malpractice and was punishable?

They probably will not take any action because think about how many schools there are in the UK. Also, since when has the government done anything right? 😂

Do you have solid proof that they cheated?
Original post by 5hyl33n
They probably will not take any action because think about how many schools there are in the UK. Also, since when has the government done anything right? 😂

Do you have solid proof that they cheated?

What does the number of the schools in the UK have to do with anything?

And no, I have no proof they did cheat
(edited 2 years ago)

My point is that you are probably not the only one that has tried to complain. I doubt anything came of it.

If you do not have proof that they cheated then your argument is automatically invalid. There is no point in complaining.
Original post by 5hyl33n
My point is that you are probably not the only one that has tried to complain. I doubt anything came of it.

If you do not have proof that they cheated then your argument is automatically invalid. There is no point in complaining.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. With so many mocks and assessments being online, there’s probably hundreds of students who have tried to cheat and probably hundreds who have as well, and nothing can be done to stop them given the circumstances. I just thought that since I had evidence of their attempts, it might make a difference but I guess not. As long as I come out with the grades I know I deserve, I suppose I shouldn’t concern myself with others right? Because even if they have cheated and they get to a-level/uni level, they won’t be able to keep up with the work. But idk, I just thought something might come of it.
Reply 16

I don't get it!! If you don't have proof why are you so determined to denounce them? Seems like some personal vendetta!
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. With so many mocks and assessments being online, there’s probably hundreds of students who have tried to cheat and probably hundreds who have as well, and nothing can be done to stop them given the circumstances. I just thought that since I had evidence of their attempts, it might make a difference but I guess not. As long as I come out with the grades I know I deserve, I suppose I shouldn’t concern myself with others right? Because even if they have cheated and they get to a-level/uni level, they won’t be able to keep up with the work. But idk, I just thought something might come of it.

Yep, unfortunately it is what it is.

As long as you know you have honestly achieved the grades, then you will be fine. :smile:

And you are right. They will struggle at university!
Original post by Euapp
I don't get it!! If you don't have proof why are you so determined to denounce them? Seems like some personal vendetta!

My concern is that if they asked me, they clearly aren’t above cheating, and they may have asked someone else and got access to the information from another person/source. Which compromises the integrity of the exam since there’s a risk, that’s all. I don’t have a personal vendetta against anyone
Original post by 5hyl33n

You jest - they are clamping down hard

Latest