The Student Room Group

marxist perspective on Interrogation ????...

Hey guys,

I m hoping there s someone here who has a bit more sociological knowledge than I do.

I was hoping anyone could give me a few tips or point me in the right direction as I need to know whether it is possible to create a debate/analysis on interrogation (I mean enhanced interrogation methods) in respect to human rights....but from a Marxist perspective. I am stuck on a paper and I cannot finish it due to this issue. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Cheers x
Original post by notaboutit21
Hey guys,

I m hoping there s someone here who has a bit more sociological knowledge than I do.

I was hoping anyone could give me a few tips or point me in the right direction as I need to know whether it is possible to create a debate/analysis on interrogation (I mean enhanced interrogation methods) in respect to human rights....but from a Marxist perspective. I am stuck on a paper and I cannot finish it due to this issue. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Cheers x

Hi @notaboutit21 [br] [br] If your looking at interrogation my immediate thoughts would go to Foucault and his work on power, authority, and imprisonment. However, without knowing the full question/ argument you're trying to make I can't say for sure how to specifically apply this.

As for Marxism, I'm not 100% sure but I would suspect that you would aim for something around the value of truth for the public and not just those in power, and perhaps in the right circumstances enhanced interrogation is needed. Perhaps looking into something like rational choice theory might work for you?

I hope this helps somewhat
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hi @notaboutit21 [br] [br] If your looking at interrogation my immediate thoughts would go to Foucault and his work on power, authority, and imprisonment. However, without knowing the full question/ argument you're trying to make I can't say for sure how to specifically apply this.

As for Marxism, I'm not 100% sure but I would suspect that you would aim for something around the value of truth for the public and not just those in power, and perhaps in the right circumstances enhanced interrogation is needed. Perhaps looking into something like rational choice theory might work for you?

I hope this helps somewhat
All the best,

Hey Cat

I truly appreciate your quick reply; However, the discussion mostly revolves around enhanced interrogation methods and the “exitus acta probat” idea. There also seems to always be some sort of unethical ''terrorist exception'' when it comes to interrogation. I hoped I could analyse all these things from a marxist perspective
Original post by notaboutit21
Hey Cat

I truly appreciate your quick reply; However, the discussion mostly revolves around enhanced interrogation methods and the “exitus acta probat” idea. There also seems to always be some sort of unethical ''terrorist exception'' when it comes to interrogation. I hoped I could analyse all these things from a marxist perspective

Hi there @notaboutit21

Ahhh I see. Well, I can't say I know anything much about that idea. However, I might push you towards doing some digging on philosophical concepts on morals and ethics, interrogation especially that on terrorism and enhanced interrogation are popular topics. P. Lauritzen "The Ethics of Interrogation: Professional Responsibility in an Age of Terror" might be worth a read.

I wonder if you might struggle to locate specific readings for marxism on the matter, or it will require a lot of digging to find it. So thinking about Marxist theories on necessity, protecting/supporting the majority, and rational choice than applying them with things like "a Marxist might suggest that-" might be the best way. There is a fair bit on Marxism and ethics such as N. Hewlett or MJ. Thompson that might fit your purpose.

I hope this helps!
All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending