Muezza10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am doing the foundation in medical sciences at uclan which has the possibility to transfer to medicine after the foundation year. Has anybody been successful in this transfer? And do you if any other medical schools accept the foundation year for their medicine courses? Are A levels taken into consideration for the transfer?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Hello,
I have the same questions. I spoke to the admission team and they said that those who wish to transfer need to compete with school leavers, like any other candidate. From what they said, they take an holistic approach: A Levels, first year of Foundation and Interview.

It is hard to tell how many people are successful.
ilikefood101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I was a student at UCLAN last year doing the same course and here is everything you need to know:

1. You only have a 3% chance of getting into medicine at UCLAN with and without the foundation course (this figure was given by our professor when he was telling us what we needed to apply to medicine)
2. There are only 15 place for UK medical student each year at UCLAN - so whilst doing your foundation year, you would be competing for a stop against your colleagues, alevel students, post grad entry, gap yr students and everyone else you can think of who is apply. you are all fighting for 1 of the 15 places. this number is so low because it has something to do with the gmc. the rest of med student at uclan are international students.
3. not a single person from my cohort was given a place to study medicine and that speaks volumes given the fact that there were people with degrees and people who's alevel grades were A*A*A
4. only 4 people from the year above me got in
5. the way you tests are marked is very unfair. they are multiple choice and on the computers. the more question you get wrong the more marks they take away. so lets so your actual grade was 40% you would be given 28%. i don't know why they do this.
6. burnley isn't a nice place to live - the locals are racist so if you're an ethnic minority be careful - my friends and i were harassed may times
7. the course is basically alevel bio chem stats calc. you also study anatomy in the second semester and you have a module on research projects.
8. i would only recommend this foundation year if you want to apply to something other than medicine and stay at uclan because other unis don't accept this foundation yr. everyone who transferred to another uni used their prior qualifications.

if you have any other questions feel free to msg me and i'll do my best to answer them
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Muezza10)
I am doing the foundation in medical sciences at uclan which has the possibility to transfer to medicine after the foundation year. Has anybody been successful in this transfer? And do you if any other medical schools accept the foundation year for their medicine courses? Are A levels taken into consideration for the transfer?
Hi there,

Our Medical Sciences (Foundation Entry) is a ‘gateway’ course which can prepare you to progress onto highly competitive graduate entry medicine, dental therapy, physician associate or pharmacy courses - as well as other professional programmes. Although this course offers a core science foundation specifically designed to give you the best chance of entry into medicine, dentistry or other health related courses, progression is not guaranteed and the criteria for a Medicine application remains including the interview process.

I hope this helps, however please do let us know if you have any further questions

Best wishes ^Alex
UCLan Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ilikefood101)
Hi! I was a student at UCLAN last year doing the same course and here is everything you need to know:

1. You only have a 3% chance of getting into medicine at UCLAN with and without the foundation course (this figure was given by our professor when he was telling us what we needed to apply to medicine)
2. There are only 15 place for UK medical student each year at UCLAN - so whilst doing your foundation year, you would be competing for a stop against your colleagues, alevel students, post grad entry, gap yr students and everyone else you can think of who is apply. you are all fighting for 1 of the 15 places. this number is so low because it has something to do with the gmc. the rest of med student at uclan are international students.
3. not a single person from my cohort was given a place to study medicine and that speaks volumes given the fact that there were people with degrees and people who's alevel grades were A*A*A
4. only 4 people from the year above me got in
5. the way you tests are marked is very unfair. they are multiple choice and on the computers. the more question you get wrong the more marks they take away. so lets so your actual grade was 40% you would be given 28%. i don't know why they do this.
6. burnley isn't a nice place to live - the locals are racist so if you're an ethnic minority be careful - my friends and i were harassed may times
7. the course is basically alevel bio chem stats calc. you also study anatomy in the second semester and you have a module on research projects.
8. i would only recommend this foundation year if you want to apply to something other than medicine and stay at uclan because other unis don't accept this foundation yr. everyone who transferred to another uni used their prior qualifications.

if you have any other questions feel free to msg me and i'll do my best to answer them
Hi there,

I'm sorry to read about your experience outlined above - please understand that we are here to support our students and we take matters such as this very seriously at the University. Please could you send us a direct message with further information on your experience in Burnley for us to investigate?

Best wishes, ^Alex
alamin121
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Could the UCLan Ambassador clarify the following
(1). The process involved for transfer into the MBBS - when is the application made, is it internal or via UCAS?
(2). Is the end of first year transfer only open to those on the Foundation Medical Sciences or is it also open to those on the Accelerated Medical Sciences at the end of their first year?
(3). If 70% needs to be achieved in the end of first year exams - will there also be any weighting place on A level and GCSE results?
(4). How many students successfully transferred from either of the two Medical Sciences courses, at the end of the first year, into the MBBS course each year over the last 3 years?
(5). Will the Accelerated 2 year degree in Medical Sciences be considered equivalent to a 3 year degree when applying for graduate medicine entry at other universities?
(6) Is the first year of accelerated medical sciences degree accredited by the General Medical Council as the equivalent of studying Year 1 Medicine?
Last edited by alamin121; 4 days ago
UCLan Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by alamin121)
Could the UCLan Ambassador clarify the following
(1). The process involved for transfer into the MBBS - when is the application made, is it internal or via UCAS?
(2). Is the end of first year transfer only open to those on the Foundation Medical Sciences or is it also open to those on the Accelerated Medical Sciences at the end of their first year?
(3). If 70% needs to be achieved in the end of first year exams - will there also be any weighting place on A level and GCSE results?
(4). How many students successfully transferred from either of the two Medical Sciences courses, at the end of the first year, into the MBBS course each year over the last 3 years?
(5). Will the Accelerated 2 year degree in Medical Sciences be considered equivalent to a 3 year degree when applying for graduate medicine entry at other universities?
(6) Is the first year of accelerated medical sciences degree accredited by the General Medical Council as the equivalent of studying Year 1 Medicine?
Hi,
Thank you for your questions and your interest in UCLan. Due to the very specific questions that you have I advise that you contact our Medical Admissions team at the following email address: [email protected]. Feel free to ask any other questions here and we will do our best to answer them or signpost you to a member of our wider team who can.

Best wishes
Andy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (44)
12.98%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.43%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.85%

Watched Threads