The Student Room Group

Fostering pets as a uni student in London?

Getting private accommodation for housing next year, plan on getting a room in a shared flat in/around Bloomsbury next year, but I really would like to have animals with me for emotional support and just something to take care of. I won’t have a car, and have minimal experience owning animals but i am responsible and willing to put in the work and love. Is fostering animals a possibility? Would any rescues accept my fostering application or do I need my own flat/car/experience?
Fosters can sometimes need more time and attention than someone who isn’t home all the time can give. There’s a reason they’re not in a kennel environment after all.
So you might just be better off adopting.
I guess you won’t know unless you try
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Getting private accommodation for housing next year, plan on getting a room in a shared flat in/around Bloomsbury next year, but I really would like to have animals with me for emotional support and just something to take care of. I won’t have a car, and have minimal experience owning animals but i am responsible and willing to put in the work and love. Is fostering animals a possibility? Would any rescues accept my fostering application or do I need my own flat/car/experience?

You'd need to check what your landlord's rules are on having pets; and if you're in a shared flat, you'd also need the other sharers to be happy too.
Depends on the terms of your tenancy, whether your flatmates mind and how much free time you have available to spend with the animal.
It would be very helpful for you to gain a bit of practical experience of looking after some rescue animals.
Maybe consider volunteering at an animal rescue facility or similar animal charity before you start fostering pets.
You will most likely need your own transport in order to take the animals to the vet and to also pick up their food, litter etc. Fostering animals takes a lot of time and patience - there's no harm in applying but they will mainly be looking for people who are home most of the day.
Reply 5

You would be at Uni for most of the day, though and you wouldn't even have a garden for the pet to go out into. It's not feasible.

What's more, your landlord would probably not allow pets in the flat.

You would be better off offering to be a volunteer at Battersea.

https://www.battersea.org.uk/support-us/volunteer/volunteer-role-alerts
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6

It all depends on the terms and conditions of tenancy, thinking of your room partner. Apart from this, the availability of your own vehicle is the requirement as you have to take care of their needs on your own. More or less, you have to spare a good time for the pets. If everything goes fine then you can read the website Pet Pharmacy for the better care of your pets.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest