The Student Room Group

Trident to leave the UK if Scotland goes independent

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
What the **** are you on about? The United States tried to block the UK from acquiring nuclear weapons. Once we got them, they accepted that - but, if they had their way, the only country with nuclear weapons would be the United States.

Ancient history. Yes, the US was uneasy about the UK obtaining them originally and reluctant to share Manhattan with anyone, but in the 50s and 60s they adjusted and eventually absorbed the UK nukes into their portfolio with Trident. That is why Reagan could confidently offer up the 'British' weapons to Gorbachev at Reykjavik without so much as a phone call to Thatcher to ask permission. Viewed from DC, they are American weapons.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"Our independent nuclear deterrent is not independent and doesn’t constitute a deterrent…”
-- Michael Portillo, former Defence Secretary
https://cnduk.org/former-conservative-defence-secretary-slams-trident-replacement/

He is quite clearly wrong - and if we're going to talk about glib, that is a glib statement.
Original post by L i b
He is quite clearly wrong - and if we're going to talk about glib, that is a glib statement.

I take it you don't deny he said it, whereas not two minutes ago you accused me of falsifying it.

Here's another former Defence Secretary, David Owen, condemning it.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/oct/25/trident-defence-policy-david-owen

"One significant report on nuclear weapons policy drawn up by senior officials in 1978 is still withheld though a commentary on it for the chiefs of staff has been published, albeit with passages redacted.

Owen accuses the government of imposing an arbitrary and illogical policy towards the disclosure of official documents. Those that have been released show that Britain's nuclear deterrent, the pre-Trident Polaris system, did not have the capability that ministers were told that it had. They also show that crucial information about the costs of the system was withheld from the then chancellor, Denis Healey."
Reply 23
Ancient history. Yes, the US was uneasy about the UK obtaining them originally and reluctant to share Manhattan with anyone, but in the 50s and 60s they adjusted and eventually absorbed the UK nukes into their portfolio with Trident. That is why Reagan could confidently offer up the 'British' weapons to Gorbachev at Reykjavik without so much as a phone call to Thatcher to ask permission. Viewed from DC, they are American weapons.

That's just encouraging a national penis-measuring contest. The United States has no control over that, nor did it then, other than persuasion.
Reply 24
I take it you don't deny he said it, whereas not two minutes ago you accused me of falsifying it.

Here's another former Defence Secretary, David Owen, condemning it.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/oct/25/trident-defence-policy-david-owen

"One significant report on nuclear weapons policy drawn up by senior officials in 1978 is still withheld though a commentary on it for the chiefs of staff has been published, albeit with passages redacted.

Owen accuses the government of imposing an arbitrary and illogical policy towards the disclosure of official documents. Those that have been released show that Britain's nuclear deterrent, the pre-Trident Polaris system, did not have the capability that ministers were told that it had. They also show that crucial information about the costs of the system was withheld from the then chancellor, Denis Healey."

No I didn't, I said it was "simply factually untrue - and has been comprehensively debunked time and again". That Michael Portillo wants to make an ambiguous statement that may suggest otherwise doesn't change a single thing.

Owen is still, as far as I'm aware, ostensibly multilateralist. That being the case, I think he's really just baulking at cost here.

So the '50s is ancient history that can be ignored without comment, but the '80s is entirely indicative of what's happening now, 40+ years later...?
Original post by Drewski
So the '50s is ancient history that can be ignored without comment, but the '80s is entirely indicative of what's happening now, 40+ years later...?

Ha, yeah, well, I guess I was picturing two main stages, (1) the UK goes it alone against US opposition/running interference, roughly 1943 - 62 and then after Nassau, (2) 1963 - now, Polaris followed by Trident, largely under US supervision/agreement. I realise this might be some sort of simplification. :rolleyes:
Original post by L i b
No I didn't, I said it was "simply factually untrue - and has been comprehensively debunked time and again". That Michael Portillo wants to make an ambiguous statement that may suggest otherwise doesn't change a single thing.

Owen is still, as far as I'm aware, ostensibly multilateralist. That being the case, I think he's really just baulking at cost here.

I think Owen is balking at the way the whole thing is run. It's definitely either sinister, or ridiculous, or both, that the Secretary of State was determined not to be suitable to be privy to see the documents governing the Trident programme. There's definitely a State within a State when it comes to British nuclear weapons. Owen isn't the only past cabinet minister to demand more information and to be thwarted. Doubtless this was partly about cost, but it's not difficult to see that the terms of management, the operational protocols and any deals with the US or joint management frameworks might also have been kept hidden. They are of course kept hidden from us, the public, which is why in practise it is impossible to claim definitively that the British nuclear deterrent is independent or under full British control. From what little we know, it appears unlikely.
From what little we know, it appears unlikely.

Well of course you're going to assume that. But you don't have the evidence to make that assumption.
Reply 29
I think Owen is balking at the way the whole thing is run. It's definitely either sinister, or ridiculous, or both, that the Secretary of State was determined not to be suitable to be privy to see the documents governing the Trident programme. There's definitely a State within a State when it comes to British nuclear weapons. Owen isn't the only past cabinet minister to demand more information and to be thwarted. Doubtless this was partly about cost, but it's not difficult to see that the terms of management, the operational protocols and any deals with the US or joint management frameworks might also have been kept hidden. They are of course kept hidden from us, the public, which is why in practise it is impossible to claim definitively that the British nuclear deterrent is independent or under full British control. From what little we know, it appears unlikely.

Are you making a technical point or a political one? Because they're not exactly sophisticated weapons at their core - and can certainly be used independently.

We've previously had arrangements with the US on use. The Quebec Agreement required the Hiroshima and Nagasaki to be officially a joint endeavour with the consent of the UK. But that's obviously quite different from technical independence - the UK couldn't physically have stopped the US doing it, had they taken the notion.
Reply 30

So perhaps the US will pay the rent?
This whole thing is Project Fear with a depleted uranium tip.

Written in the Guardian by a rabid pro-EU think tank spreading anti-UK nonsense.

The very idea of it is utterly laughable. Relocating Trident to France?

Does anyone with a functioning brain think that there aren't contingency plans in Faslane for some reason became unusable - from a Commie nuclear strike or something?

Anyone with even a quantum of intelligence would just go - oh well - no Scotland, it's a shame we don't have the biggest and most historic naval base in all of Europe in Plymouth.
Original post by Trinculo
This whole thing is Project Fear with a depleted uranium tip.

Written in the Guardian by a rabid pro-EU think tank spreading anti-UK nonsense.

The very idea of it is utterly laughable. Relocating Trident to France?

Does anyone with a functioning brain think that there aren't contingency plans in Faslane for some reason became unusable - from a Commie nuclear strike or something?

Anyone with even a quantum of intelligence would just go - oh well - no Scotland, it's a shame we don't have the biggest and most historic naval base in all of Europe in Plymouth.

The report is written by Rear Admiral John Gower who was formerly Asst. Chief of the Defence Staff with responsibility for nuclear weapons.
https://www.europeanleadershipnetwork.org/person/john-gower/

It doesn't seem very plausible that they could move them to Plymouth. Apart from technical and other considerations, it's always been clear that the weapons were located in a wild part of Scotland in case there was a bad nuclear accident. The British government have never seemed too fussed as to what would happen to the people who live within 50 miles of it (that's basically Glasgow) but Devon and Cornwall would be a whole different thing. It's also incredibly likely that there would be huge opposition to it with vocal and aggressive campaigning. I doubt that the current government has the guts to go down that path.

You mention France, but as the report says, relocation to the US is far more plausible. The missiles are leased from the US anyway and as with any lease, the terms are set by the owner.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Quady
So perhaps the US will pay the rent?

They are US weapons leased to the UK. It isn't known what the terms of that lease are, but probably they include the British paying through the nose year after year.
Reply 34
They are US weapons leased to the UK. It isn't known what the terms of that lease are, but probably they include the British paying through the nose year after year.

But we won't be British anymore
Original post by Quady
But we won't be British anymore

True. English/Welsh/Northern Irelanders then. Although probably at least one of the latter two will have gone as well. So maybe it will be the English Nuclear Deterrent (America-located and owned).
Reply 36
True. English/Welsh/Northern Irelanders then. Although probably at least one of the latter two will have gone as well. So maybe it will be the English Nuclear Deterrent (America-located and owned).

Ah ok, no rent then

Shame, ah well
Having a base down south would make more sense, actually.

The most vulnerable part of the whole chain isn't that everybody knows the subs are at Faslane, it's that everybody knows the warheads -the rather significant part of the missiles that is UK made- have to transferred from Aldermaston to Faslane by road.

Moving the subs down south reduces the exposure the warheads have to potential for ambush.

That there hasn't been a nuclear incident at Faslane for 50 years would suggest their procedures are safe and that they can happily reproduce the processes at another facility.

Of course, an independent Scotland would far rather we pay rent and continue to employ tens of thousands in the area.
(edited 2 years ago)

Welsh support for independence is still quite low and polling suggests no real Plaid spike (though it is sad that like Scotland, Welsh Labour voters are more willing to betray the union). While I admit I am a tad surprised, the two NI polls this year actually have Sinn Fein on a lower share of the vote so there's no independence anytime soon there either. The weakening of the DUP is due to leaking to the TUV who make the DUP look like hippies.

On the nukes you'd be sacrificing a lot of jobs in the UK to send them to the US given that we make the subs and the warheads. With the new trident upgrade it's actually a joint development programme and according to Newsnight we are pushing it more than the US right now.

Moreover though you never answered my earlier points. Is your objection to nukes or WMD's, would you support replacement with thermobaric weapons or even a British nuclear system.
(edited 2 years ago)
I feel saddened that you want to destroy Clapham. It's quite a nice area really.

I mean, I didn’t intend to flatten Clapham completely. Just stick two missiles in someone’s garage and just have them ready just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending