The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels to pick for Law at Uni

I'm currently in Year 11 and for my A-Levels I've picked Economics, Geography and Politics. I'm not sure if I should take Maths as well, since I'm only average at it at GCSE and I rather only do subjects I'm probably going to excel in. I don't do History at GCSE unfortunately so I can't pick it as an A-Level and I've heard Sociology/Psychology are seen as "soft subjects" by top unis
My GCSES range from 7-9 so pretty avg I think.
Thank you!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Your options sound fine. Just pick what you enjoy most and think you can do best at - it will be the grades that matter.

Edit - 3 subjects is absolutely fine. Far better to get 3 top grades than 4 good ones.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by leilaelise
Thank you!!

Those are extremely good grades, not 'pretty avg' grades.
I'm currently in Year 11 and for my A-Levels I've picked Economics, Geography and Politics. I'm not sure if I should take Maths as well, since I'm only average at it at GCSE and I rather only do subjects I'm probably going to excel in. I don't do History at GCSE unfortunately so I can't pick it as an A-Level and I've heard Sociology/Psychology are seen as "soft subjects" by top unis
Thank you!!

@leilaelise
Those are great grades, well done!

In terms of Sociology and Psychology, Universities do not see them as soft subjects as they are worth the same number of UCAS tariff points. Typically employers have been a bit off with me having a Sociology degree as they have no idea what it is. I'm currently doing an MSc in Psychology and because of its sciency edge it has a bit more kudos

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi! I'm also an aspiring law student and I currently take A Level English Lit, History and French. I also didn't do History at GCSE, so if you are interested in it, I recommend speaking to the history department at your sixth form / college to see if they can take you onto the course. If you do decide to go for it, ask about what A-Level spec they're on, have a look at the topics, and find out if prospective A-Level History students who have done it at GCSE have already covered the basics of any of the topics. For example, everyone in my class did Elizabethan England and the Cold War at GCSE; I went away and learned the GCSE content for those over the summer so that I would be well-prepared for my modules in Tudor history and the Cold War.

You've got a solid selection of A-Levels though, and I think it would be wise to just not take Maths. As the people above have mentioned, you don't need to take 4 A-Levels; universities will only look at your 3 highest grades, so there is no point putting in energy into a 4th A-Level that you may not even enjoy and that might not count towards much.

Best of luck!
You do not need ANY specific subjects to do Law.
You just need high grades, so pick subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of getting high grades.

Do not do 4 subjects. No UK University requires 4 and it wont get you any assumption of 'ooooo must be clever'.
By doing 4 you risk getting good grades in the 3 subjects you actually need - AAA will always look better than ABBB.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Your options sound fine. Just pick what you enjoy most and think you can do best at - it will be the grades that matter.

Edit - 3 subjects is absolutely fine. Far better to get 3 top grades than 4 good ones.

thank you sm!!!
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
You do not need ANY specific subjects to do Law.
You just need high grades, so pick subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of getting high grades.

Do not do 4 subjects. No UK University requires 4 and it wont get you any assumption of 'ooooo must be clever'.
By doing 4 you risk getting good grades in the 3 subjects you actually need - AAA will always look better than ABBB.

thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by anabundanceofas
Hi! I'm also an aspiring law student and I currently take A Level English Lit, History and French. I also didn't do History at GCSE, so if you are interested in it, I recommend speaking to the history department at your sixth form / college to see if they can take you onto the course. If you do decide to go for it, ask about what A-Level spec they're on, have a look at the topics, and find out if prospective A-Level History students who have done it at GCSE have already covered the basics of any of the topics. For example, everyone in my class did Elizabethan England and the Cold War at GCSE; I went away and learned the GCSE content for those over the summer so that I would be well-prepared for my modules in Tudor history and the Cold War.

You've got a solid selection of A-Levels though, and I think it would be wise to just not take Maths. As the people above have mentioned, you don't need to take 4 A-Levels; universities will only look at your 3 highest grades, so there is no point putting in energy into a 4th A-Level that you may not even enjoy and that might not count towards much.

Best of luck!

thank you! all the best to you too!
Reply 9
Original post by glassalice
Those are extremely good grades, not 'pretty avg' grades.

thank you! i go to a school which has high expectations and they're usually the average for my school but thank you! i really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you!!

Hi, personally I did not pick Maths at A-level, however a lot of my friends have who did well in GCSEs and they all say they are struggling with the maths a level, unless you are going to do a maths orientated degree do something different :smile:
Thank you!!

Hey :smile:

Most Universities don't seem to require specific A-Level subjects to study Law. I have linked 'TheUniGuide' website here which states the same, however offers some subjects that may set you up well. https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law

Personally, I would really recommend doing subjects you enjoy. It will make the two years of studying so much easier and more enjoyable!

Hope this helps :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest