Depression

Watch
Anne Lee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How can I help a people suffering from depression?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Do you know someone suffering from depression? Because I have the same question - I have a friend who I think has depression, and I really want to help them, but I don't know how
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of gentle encouragement to try and seek professional help, not overloading, but make small suggestions, tell them they will be ok and offer to go with them if they do see a medical professional.
If they need to let out their feelings try and allow them to, you don’t necessarily have to say something amazing in reply, just let them let it out.
Little actions such as sending a random text maybe saying ‘thinking of you’ ‘here for you’ or ‘I think you’re amazing’ or a hug (if they like hugs) can go a long way. Maybe a small gift or offer to meet them out to eat somewhere.
Don’t be surprised/take offence if they maybe don’t reply to your texts/go a little cold/be disinterested in having friends because they make just not be feeling like doing anything. They may also accidentally be rude/snap out. If they do do this, try not to get angry as it will make them feel worse, and they actually can’t control it.
As I said above, the best thing you can do is support them in getting help.
I hope this helps both of you, please feel free to ask anything about it/or ask for more stuff.
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Casmo)
I wish I could know
Know what?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alas this thread needs some more attention, i'd be interested to know the answer as well as aside from managing to balancing act of being there for the person and being seen as trying to fix them i've always struggled with being able to help someone.

As to the OP some more details wouldnt go a miss. Its hard to know how to answer if we dont know the cause, if they have any other problems etc. e.g. someone with depression and trauma will require a different approach to someone who just has 'simple' depression and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads