The Student Room Group

Dropping Physics after A2?

So basically I’m doing Physics AS and I hate it, absolutely despise it. My predicted grade is a C but now as we are doing mimi exams, I revised very hard and managed to get an A. I could get an A by the end of it but I really really hate it and it’s come to the point where it’s given me depression. I don’t understand the questions at all, I have to spend hours and hours just on one paper to understand it. I was lucky that I had done the paper before and that same one came in our exam so I got an A. But I know for a fact im gonna struggle next year and I don’t wanna have to deal with it. I’m doing chem, bio and physics b I wanna drop physics after AS for psychology. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it and I doubt I will even be allowed to but if anyone could give me some guidance as to what to do, I really don’t wanna do it anymore I know I will fail. I wanna do medicine and my grades are very good for chem and bio but I think physics will let me down if I carry on with it onto A2.
What should I do?
Reply 1
hello!! :smile:

as someone who also switched subjects at the end of AS, i can tell you firsthand it IS possible!!

i have an offer for vet med, and they asked for AAA, so i’m guessing med schools will ask for AAA as well, or even A*AA.

if you know a subject you’d like to take such as psychology, make sure you’re good at it/ will do well.

i know it must be so depressing and boring to be doing physics, but if you’re nearly done with AS, there’s only a year left of physics and then you’re into med school!!! if you’re getting A’s in physics, it may be worthwhile to stick with it right till the end just to make sure you get the grades for med school, as it would be horrible to switch subjects and have to catch up on content only to end up with a B and missing your offer.

hope this helps! you can PM me if you’d like to talk more :smile:
Original post by aliaa03
hello!! :smile:

as someone who also switched subjects at the end of AS, i can tell you firsthand it IS possible!!

i have an offer for vet med, and they asked for AAA, so i’m guessing med schools will ask for AAA as well, or even A*AA.

if you know a subject you’d like to take such as psychology, make sure you’re good at it/ will do well.

i know it must be so depressing and boring to be doing physics, but if you’re nearly done with AS, there’s only a year left of physics and then you’re into med school!!! if you’re getting A’s in physics, it may be worthwhile to stick with it right till the end just to make sure you get the grades for med school, as it would be horrible to switch subjects and have to catch up on content only to end up with a B and missing your offer.

hope this helps! you can PM me if you’d like to talk more :smile:

hey, i've got a question. I'm studying four a levels and I'm planning to drop physics for AS. But i don't think i'm going to be able to get a good grade. Do AS grades matter for the subject that you're going to drop? And do I have to put that grade on my UCAS? I want to apply to uni's like Cambridge, UCL , Imperial
Reply 3
Original post by melmel2345
hey, i've got a question. I'm studying four a levels and I'm planning to drop physics for AS. But i don't think i'm going to be able to get a good grade. Do AS grades matter for the subject that you're going to drop? And do I have to put that grade on my UCAS? I want to apply to uni's like Cambridge, UCL , Imperial

hello!! they’ll only count what you put on your UCAS, if you’re not taking it as an A2 subject then no it doesn’t need to go on your UCAS, so you’ll be fine with just 3 as long as you meet their predicted grades with your UCAS application! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest