‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’ please help

Watch
chrispchichen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have been given this question by me teacher and was wondering if anyone could give me some points with quotes as I have procrastinated for far too long and really need help.

‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’Starting with this moment in the play, explore how far you agree with this view.
Write about:
• how Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth in this extract
• how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a female character who changes in the play as a whole.
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

The given extract is as follows;

LADY MACBETH: Out, damned spot! Out, I say! One, two. Whythen ’tis time to do’t. Hell is murky. Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none cancall our power to account? Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?
DOCTOR: Do you mark that?
LADY MACBETH: The Thane of Fife had a wife. Where is she now? What, will these hands ne’er be clean? No more o’that, my Lord, no more o’that. You mar all with this starting.
DOCTOR: Go to, go to; you have known what you should not.
GENTLEWOMAN: She has spoke what she should not, I am sure of that. Heaven knows what she has known.
LADY MACBETH: Here’s the smell of the blood still; all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. O, O, O.
DOCTOR: What a sigh is there! The heart is sorely charged.
GENTLEWOMAN: I would not have such a heart in my bosom for the dignity of the whole body.
DOCTOR: Well, well, well –
GENTLEWOMAN: Pray God it be, sir.
DOCTOR: This disease is beyond my practice; yet I have known those which have walked in their sleep who have died holily in their beds.
LADY MACBETH: Wash your hands, put on your night-gown, look not so pale. I tell you yet again, Banquo’s buried; he cannot come out on’s grave.
DOCTOR: Even so?
LADY MACBETH: To bed, to bed; there’s knocking at the gate.Come, come, come, come, give me your hand; what’s donecannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look again at the whole play and then write up a list of the scenes that revolve around her change. Make some notes on the ways in which she changes her nature over the novel as well. If possible try to use them as the basis of your essay. Use your notes too to form the bulk of the essay. Good luck.
_preet15
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chrispchichen)
Hi, I have been given this question by me teacher and was wondering if anyone could give me some points with quotes as I have procrastinated for far too long and really need help.

‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’Starting with this moment in the play, explore how far you agree with this view.
Write about:
• how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a female character who changes in the play as a whole.
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

LADY MACBETH: Out, damned spot! Out, I say! One, two. Whythen ’tis time to do’t. Hell is murky. Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none cancall our power to account? Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?
LADY MACBETH: The Thane of Fife had a wife. Where is she now? What, will these hands ne’er be clean? No more o’that, my Lord, no more o’that. You mar all with this starting.
GENTLEWOMAN: She has spoke what she should not, I am sure of that. Heaven knows what she has known.
LADY MACBETH: Here’s the smell of the blood still; all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. O, O, O.
GENTLEWOMAN: I would not have such a heart in my bosom for the dignity of the whole body.
DOCTOR: This disease is beyond my practice; yet I have known those which have walked in their sleep who have died holily in their beds.
LADY MACBETH: Wash your hands, put on your night-gown, look not so pale. I tell you yet again, Banquo’s buried; he cannot come out on’s grave.
LADY MACBETH: To bed, to bed; there’s knocking at the gate.Come, come, come, come, give me your hand; what’s donecannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed.
have you done the question yet ?
dumbo899
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chrispchichen)

Write about:
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

Hi, hope I’m not too late. I answered this question and got a grade 9. I would say talk about the change in the her character. Her character in act1 she was more controlling and powerful, to her character in the later acts. You can use so many quotations make sure you link back to context how Jacobean society believed women were weak and couldn’t handle the repercussions of power. Etc. Anyways good luck !
San.ya
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I doing an English exam soon and am doing some practice questions. It would be really helpful if you could perhaps send your essay so I could use it as a structural guide, since this is an area I am not particularly confident in. thanks
Queen0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dumbo899)
Hi, hope I’m not too late. I answered this question and got a grade 9. I would say talk about the change in the her character. Her character in act1 she was more controlling and powerful, to her character in the later acts. You can use so many quotations make sure you link back to context how Jacobean society believed women were weak and couldn’t handle the repercussions of power. Etc. Anyways good luck !
Could you please send it to me if you have it, as I have this question tomorow but Im not really sure how to set out my ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads