Postgraduate Students/ Accommodation / Sussex Uni

Watch
username5732885
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
What is the best accommodation for postgraduate students around Sussex University? I heard that postgraduate students are not recommended to stay on campus. Does anyone know anything about this topic? Would you recommend that postgraduate students stay on or off campus? Also, does anyone stay in iq abacus dormitory and have an idea?
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5732885)
Hi,
What is the best accommodation for postgraduate students around Sussex University? I heard that postgraduate students are not recommended to stay on campus. Does anyone know anything about this topic? Would you recommend that postgraduate students stay on or off campus? Also, does anyone stay in iq abacus dormitory and have an idea?
Hello, thank you for all your questions!

In terms of living on campus as a postgraduate student, there are definitely a number of advantages, including less time spent travelling, utility bills & property insurance being included in the price and easy access to all the on-campus facilities. However, you may find that renting off campus could be potentially cheaper (although it depends on the area, the accommodation type and the total of all the additional travel/utility/insurance costs, etc). It is also worth keeping in mind that there are slightly fewer on-campus housing options being offered to postgraduate vs undergraduate students. This is due to the contract time being longer for postgraduate students than those studying an undergraduate course, and the need for housing repair & renovation work being done over the summer holiday. Currently, the options for next academic year include: Stanmer Court, East Slope, Northfield and Brighthelm. In past years, Lewes Court was also offered, but based on the information provided on housing website, this is not going to be case next year. Of course, there may be more or fewer options in the following years.

Stanmer Court and Northfield offer en-suite study bedrooms, Brighthelm offers non-ensuite bedrooms, and East Slope offers both types. Out of these options, Brighthelm is the cheapest accommodation (£150.50 a week). It also benefits from free clothes washing and drying facilities, not present in other accommodation types (normally you will need to use a laundrette). Personally, I quite like the look of these flats; although I have not lived in one myself. You will only share the flat with 4 other people and hence generally it might be a quieter place to live in. Stanmer and Northfield are flats, housing usually 6 people. Stanmer is by the train station, so could make it easier to travel to town. On the other hand, Northfield is on the other side of campus; hence, in comparison, it would be about 20 min walk to the train station/ bus stop. Generally, the Northfield flats are more modern and newer than Stanmer ones, although the rooms are slightly smaller. You do get a larger bathroom in Northfield, though! Lastly, East Slope is the newest accommodation, but you will have to share the flat with more people (minimum of 9) than in Stanmer/ Northfield, despite the price being equal to that of Northfield (£172.75 a week) and higher than that of Stanmer (£164.40 a week) (unless you live in non-ensuite East Slope flats which are slightly cheaper; £164.11 a week). For me personally, Brighthelm seems like the best choice, given the price and the standard of accommodation; although all flats have their pros and cons, of course! >>Here is a link to the housing website, with more information, regarding each of these housing options: Sussex On-campus housing.

Also, in terms of renting privately, personally I have always lived on campus. However, I have come across a good website link, reviewing the main student housing locations in Brighton, including Elm Grove, Hanover, Round Hill, City Centre, and Kemptown:
Private accommodation. The information discussed include the typical price, size of accommodation, number of people you can expect to live with, and what the area is best for. I hope you find this information useful.

Also, I would strongly encourage you to contact Sussex Housing Services Team ([email protected], +44 (0)1273 678220), if you need any advice with regards to renting privately in Brighton. They would be more than happy to provide you with a detailed guidance as to which particular location would best meet your specific needs and preferences.

Let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hello, can someone tell me how long after your postgraduate application you received the decision?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, can someone tell me how long after your postgraduate application you received the decision?
Hello, thank you for your question!

I am sorry to hear that you are still waiting for the decision regarding your application. On average, about 4 weeks would be the waiting period. However, it depends on the department and how many applications have been received. Still, if you are concerned about the progress of your application, I would advice emailing Postgraduate Course Enquiries ([email protected]), since they may be able to offer some useful updates, or at least provide you with a more accurate estimate for the expected waiting time. I hope this gets sorted for you, as soon as possible! Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello, thank you for your question!

I am sorry to hear that you are still waiting for the decision regarding your application. On average, about 4 weeks would be the waiting period. However, it depends on the department and how many applications have been received. Still, if you are concerned about the progress of your application, I would advice emailing Postgraduate Course Enquiries ([email protected]), since they may be able to offer some useful updates, or at least provide you with a more accurate estimate for the expected waiting time. I hope this gets sorted for you, as soon as possible! Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply, it definitely helped me calm myself.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply, it definitely helped me calm myself.
Hello! You are welcome!

Best Wishes,
Kasia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads