Why is it still so hard to get a PS5?

Watch
kwame88
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Was hoping to get one soon but its seemingly impossible
Last edited by kwame88; 6 months ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kwame88)
What is the matter? is the console too expensive to afford it? what does prevent you to buy a PS4?
kwame88
Rep:
(Original post by Kallisto)
What is the matter? is the console too expensive to afford it? what does prevent you to buy a PS4?
Oops meant PS5... Its been sold out for months
Last edited by kwame88; 6 months ago
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Oops meant PS5... Its been sold out for months
Don't be sad, I have corrected it for you!

It is this run on a new console that makes it so difficult to get a PS5. I think that the run is over in two years at the latest, try it again then!
kwame88
Rep:
Don't be sad, I have corrected it for you!

It is this run on a new console that makes it so difficult to get a PS5. I think that the run is over in two years at the latest, try it again then!
Cheers / yeah true
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Cheers / yeah true
Still good luck for getting a PS5. Cross my fingers that you are successful soon.
kwame88
Rep:
Still good luck for getting a PS5. Cross my fingers that you are successful soon.
Thanks! Hoping I can get one by at least December
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
A combination of a global chip shortage limiting production volume and unprecedented demand for gaming consoles and computer parts during the pandemic where everyone is stuck at home. It really is quite simply demand absolutely dwarfing supply. This has also turned scalping, the practice of buying in-demand commodities for the sole purpose of selling them at grossly inflated prices, into an extremely profitable venture, to the point that people are paying for software that is automatically checking and buying out inventory from any website that gets them in stock before any regular buyer even has a chance.

The entire market is a sh*tshow right now.
Last edited by username612415; 6 months ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Does seem to be harder to get hold of then any other console, I assume its production limitations; maybe im getting older but the new generation consoles seem less hyped then any of the previous generation consoles were.

Personally i was a little disappointed with the ps5 onboard hard drive size, given downloading games is becoming increasingly popular. I also think they should do away with optical drives and put physical game copies on something like a micro sd card.

Ill be holding off for at least another year before I consider getting one.
Gay Homer
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Popular demand, a lot of people wish to buy them, myself included, but sadly like you, I can't seem to find one available, and I do not have the dough to purchase one.
kwame88
Rep:
True the scalpers have ruined it tbh, any PS5 that becomes available is gone within the snap of the finger.
kwame88
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
Does seem to be harder to get hold of then any other console, I assume its production limitations; maybe im getting older but the new generation consoles seem less hyped then any of the previous generation consoles were.

Personally i was a little disappointed with the ps5 onboard hard drive size, given downloading games is becoming increasingly popular. I also think they should do away with optical drives and put physical game copies on something like a micro sd card.

Ill be holding off for at least another year before I consider getting one.
Oh no you're right, there is less hype... I think there's only so much you can do with game consoles. Maybe VR is the future but that will take a while!
username612415
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
maybe im getting older but the new generation consoles seem less hyped then any of the previous generation consoles were.
The pandemic, impending scalper threat that had already decimated 2020's PC market, and long-foreseen production constraints did somewhat mute the initial hype- the importance of launch-day events for generating buzz and unfettered availability have really come to light this gen. And it's a shame, because this was undoubtedly the most kick-ass gen of consoles from a hardware standpoint since at least the PS2/Xbox era, and sales have been record setting even with these handicaps.

Personally i was a little disappointed with the ps5 onboard hard drive size, given downloading games is becoming increasingly popular.
It's because the new consoles are built around an extremely fast, and extremely expensive, form of SSD storage that goes beyond enabling faster boot/load times, its integral to how the new consoles deliver the level of graphics quality they do. Sony really should have lumped for a full 1TB of storage as they're likely losing money on the manufacturing cost already, but at least the PS5 will (eventually) accept off-the-shelf drives for internal expansion, unlike the proprietary expansion used by Microsoft.

I also think they should do away with optical drives and put physical game copies on something like a micro sd card.
Another necessary evil unfortunately, Blu Ray disks offer the best combination of capacity and r/w speeds necessary for running new gen mainstream games off of physical media at a reasonable production cost. We're not in the days of the N64 cartridges that cost $20 a pop anymore, but the Switch's 32GB cards are already more expensive than a 100GB blu ray disk per unit- flash based media with equal capacity and speed to a ray disk would significantly increase the cost of every production run of a game. The Xbox and Playstation consoles will abandon physical media entirely long before they switch to a new medium.
username612415
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Name:  kord.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  65.0 KB
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Thanks! Hoping I can get one by at least December
If you arewaiting till December, send Santa a request to pay it for you instead and to lay the PS5 under a Christmas tree in a wrapped paper. :lol:
kwame88
Rep:
Haha wish I could rep you!
kwame88
Rep:
If you arewaiting till December, send Santa a request to pay it for you instead and to lay the PS5 under a Christmas tree in a wrapped paper. :lol:
worth a try! lol
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I tried to get a ps5 like 6 weeks or so ago. Not to play but to resell. 😈

I did not want to spend money paying for a scalping bot so signed up to stock alert services and tried to grab one manually. couldn't manage it.

the best i got was getting one in my basket at amazon but it didn't let me purchase it.

after this i gave up in the next few days as the ps5's on ebay were coming down in price somewhat and cex was offering less too now and i didn't want to be stuck with a ps5 which i couldn't make no profit on, or possibly a loss as supply was entering the market and i feared prices might of came down even more..
username612415
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I tried to get a ps5 like 6 weeks or so ago. Not to play but to resell. 😈
In all honesty, I'm glad you failed :yy:
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I preordered my PS5 back in September last year and that was the easiest time to get one. Nowadays it’s literally impossible because of FOMO, the global silicon shortage and the pandemic. The silicon shortage is not ending anytime soon so good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads