TTTA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Can someone tell me the Affect of temperature on Cell membrane please, ?
Thanks you
Wat:Shark:Where
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think the diffusion rate across it increases
TTTA
Rep:
?
Why is that?
sorry have to hand in an essay tomorrow and can't seem to find anything about this.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to be honest

and say I don't have a clue

our teacher mentioned it in passing. I suppose it could have something to do with the heat giving more energy to all the particles which in turn increases the number of collesions which makes everything go faster
TTTA
Rep:
?
Oh thanks that actually makes sense. Also i was just told by a friend that it also affects the structure of the cell membrane. low temperature =solid high temperature= liquid.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ah k cool, I think i'm covering that this week so its nice to go in a little prepared.
LiamSwainy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The proteins in the cell membrane denature at a certain temperature (it's hight in plants), leaving gaps, so things such as pigment diffuse out of the cell easier.
Kestrel_Lover_Sophie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm... I sort of got the impression that as the temperature increased the phospholipid molecules moved round more and so left gaps between them where large substances could pass through. This is why cholesterol is more abundant in the cell membranes of organisms aadapted to hot climates - because it provides stability to the membrane and so stops this happening.
nadroj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yea the bonds between the phospholipids will weaken as molecules vibrate with increased kinetic energy, i think the implications of this will be above your current level so id jus say this could cause gaps allowing substances to pass through.

the biggie is really just effect of temperature on proteins - channel and carrier. altering the structure which could allow for bigger or non-specific molecules to pass through or prevent complimentary proteins and substrates binding which means certain molecules which would normally be carried into the cell may not be.
Medicine Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kestrel_Lover_Sophie)
Hmm... I sort of got the impression that as the temperature increased the phospholipid molecules moved round more and so left gaps between them where large substances could pass through. This is why cholesterol is more abundant in the cell membranes of organisms aadapted to hot climates - because it provides stability to the membrane and so stops this happening.

thats correct :yep:
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hmm under very high temperature...you can get protein denaturation. Lets say the ion channels denature. Ionic gradients are disappated (augmented by cell membrane destruction - for reasons described above) and the cell loses control over its volume homestatsis. This can lead to the cell entering a downward necrotic spiral which could end with cell death. Also, yes, it speeds up diffusion across the membrane.
anhbui
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thankyou, i found all these comments very useful so much better than my teacher's explaination
olafcutex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
just read your textbook- it is there to read
Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by olafcutex)
just read your textbook- it is there to read
This thread is over 5 years old.
olafcutex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah, but some people still have these
adsgiuagbdabso
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TTTA)
Can someone tell me the Affect of temperature on Cell membrane please, ?
Thanks you
Well, the cell membrane consists of a phosphilipid bilayer which allows certain chemicals through and keeps other harmful chemicals out. The cell/plasma membrane also consists of:

Intrinsic proteins (which allow certain chemicals through like glucose in facilitated diffusion).

Extrinsic proteins (Which are used for cell reception).

Glycolipids and Glycoproteins (Collectively called Glycocalyx, they are used for cell identification and in some cases such as your gut wall, for protection).

Cholesterol (which insures that the cell membrane is not too fluid or too permeable).

If you noticed, the molecules mentioned here are made up of:

- Proteins

- Lipids

and are also selectively permeable.

With temperature increase this means:
Proteins in the membrane change shape, and can eventually denature if the temperature is too hot - a bit like the albumen in your egg turning white in a frying pan. This means a few molecules can no longer can pass though other (mostly harmful) chemicals can pass though as intrinsic proteins change their shape.

Lipids in the membrane, like cooking oil in the a pan, becomes more fluid when temperature increases. The membrane can become too fluid and essentially, break apart if the membrane reaches too high a temperature.

A bit like water and a teabag, when you increase temperature, diffusion occurs faster and molecules that are insoluble become soluble: which is not always a good thing as harmful substances can pass through the membrane more easily.

With temperature decrease this means:
Lipids, olive olive oil in a fridge, becomes more viscous. If it becomes too cold this will cause the phosphilpids in the membrane to become too stiff, preventing growth and movement.

If you try putting cold water on a teabag, not much happens. The same is with the phosphilipid membrane. This can cause some problems: important molecules such as oxygen and glucose, and hormones such as steroids do not diffuse through the cell properly and carbon dioxide out of the cell does not diffuse out of the cell properly.

In extreme cases cytoplasm can freeze and pierce the membrane - the cause of why freezing your red pepper turns it to mush.

Hopefully this helps: It really helps to remember stuff using examples in everyday life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads