The Student Room Group

pros & cons of moving into uni accom vs renting an apartment?

yeah thats my question
This is for uni halls.

Pros:
-Social, easy to meet lots of people who are all brand new to uni. Easy to find plenty of people to go out with, generally messing out and having a laugh.
-Options such as a cleaner, bills inclusive, catered accommodation mean very little responsibility whilst you find your feat living without your family
-Normally very close to university

Cons:
-costs more then private
-tiny room
-less personal social space
-Noise
-You dont choose the people you share facilities with

Personal experience: I loved halls, at 18 it was a laugh. Very sociable, met lots of people. You have lots of free time in first year so its nice having so many people around you to just mess about with. Lots of memories. Afterwards I moved into private student housing which I probably enjoyed more overall but I think halls is a really good way to go for freshers.
Original post by Anonymous
yeah thats my question

Hello!

There are many different pros and cons but it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

It is always advisable to go for university accommodation in your first year as you are just adjusting to budgeting and the university will be much more lenient if you have an issue with rent. This is taken termly and corresponds with loan payments which means your rent money comes out each term before you can spend your whole loan! University accommodation also offers a community feel with lots of people in the same position as you which means you can make friends a lot more easily.
Whereas private landlords will be much less forgiving with missed rent, can sometimes take it monthly and could potentially be a little isolating.

Shared flats in student accommodation is somewhat like being given friends who are in the same position as you. They are a group of people who can go to freshers events with you and most likely become life long friends, as well as your course friends.

You may consider a studio flat in student accommodation which offers all of the pros of student accommodation but more independence as you have a self contained flat.

However some choose to go into private accommodation as they can share with a significant other or non student friend. There are a lot more private flats than accommodation sites so you may have a little more choice in location.

Only you can decide what is best for you but I hope this helps.

Lydia :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest