Transition from A level to IB (International Baccalaureate)

Watch this thread
Quantum404
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently about to finish year 11, and will spend year 12 doing A levels. However, my family is planning to move to France meaning I will have to spend year 13 doing the International Baccalaureate.

A level choices:
- maths
- further maths
- computer science
- physics

IB choices:
- SL english (not sure what the difference between lit and lang/lit is)
- SL ab initio japanese
- SL psychology
- HL computer science
- HL physics
- HL maths (not sure which, whatever is most advanced/hardest)

my questions is will i be able to transition to IB smoothly without having to retake a year? I would have never done psychology before, but english doesn't seem like a problem and i've been learning japanese in my free time for a year already. Will there be a step up in maths/physics etc?

any help or advice is appreciated! thanks in advance
talissu160
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It's normally not possible to complete the IB the second year of your sixth form education if you didn't start it in your first year...

Are there indeed no schools in France that offer the A-Levels?

If so, if I were in your situation, I would actually think of continuing studying A-Levels privately / online (look for external tutors). The IB is a lot of work and could give you a severe culture shock as an A-Level student. It's not just 6 subjects but there is also the Extended Essay, CAS activities and TOK subject to do.

The Maths A-Levels definitely can be taken as a private candidate. For CS, I think it depends on the exam board (if it's 100% externally assessed, you definitely can take it as a private candidate).

But anyway, Maths HL is in between A-Level Maths and Further Maths. I'm not sure about Physics HL though.
hehe_x
Badges: 14
Report 1 year ago
It is not possible to switch to IB in year 13. Why don't you try and move to an IB school in September this year so you'll get the full 2 years of IB, instead of doing A-Levels?
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I think it would be too hard to do IB in one year. Would it not be possible to switch to an IB school in September for the full two years or attend an A-Level school in France.

Here's a link to some international schools in France, some of which have A-Levels:
https://www.completefrance.com/livin...ance-1-5898465
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
66.32%
No (43)
22.28%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.4%

Watched Threads