a_level185
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im doing chemistry, biology and maths A LEVELS on my own in a gap year and i got no clue what to do. i'm very stuck regarding what past papers to do and how to use the specification to help me.

i know the exams started since 2017 but i can only find 2018 papers for maths. no sign of 2017 and 2019 papers. i dont even know where to find the past papers. and for biology i can only find 2017 and 2018 papers. i know for a fact you need to do more than just 2 years worth of papers so what do i do to prepare myself?

also i tried using the specification and for biology it literally bullet points small brief facts i need to know. how does this help with learning and knowing what we are expected to know if it says the facts in the specification. surely one can just memorise the specification points and know everything for the exams? how do people even use the specification to help. i guess for chemistry i can see value to the specification, but AQA bio and AQA maths?

and can someone please find me a website with past papers please?

everyone always says physics and maths tutor but i find it difficult to navigate. i can only find 2017 and 2018 new spec papers for bio. no sight of 2019 papers and its 2021 currently. also what on earth are legacy papers. are they old spec? it's confusing because there is 6 units in BIO old spec , so people did 6 papers for a AQA biology a level? units 3 and 6 are EMPA/ISA . do i need to do those? im using units 3 and 6 are course work so just units 1, unit 2, unit 4 and unit 5? Which past papers and units do i need to do to prepare for the new 2015 AQA A LEVEL biology ?! and are the specimen papers worth doing for biology? is it worth doing other exam board papers?

then what about maths old spec? C1, C2, C3,C4, S1, M1 ? 6 papers again for a AQA maths a level? again, are these the legacy/old spec papers? do i need to do all 6 of those mentioned above?
physics and maths tutor has something called Madas/I.Y.G.B Papers – Pure. are they worth doing too? theres also C1, C2, C3, C4, S1,S2,S3,S4,CIE,M1,M2,M3,M4,M5,FP1,FP2,FP3,D1,D2 all when i go on the maths past papers page on physics and maths tutor. Theres also WJEC. Theres also MECHANICS 1B, MECHANICS 2B,MECHANICS 3, MECHANICS 4, MECHANICS 5,DECISON 1, DECISION 2, STATS 1A, STATS 1B, STATS 2B,STATS 3, STATS 4. im so confused please help me,what past papers should i do to prepare for the new AQA A LEVEL MATHS ?! i can only find the 2018 papers. are the specimen papers worth doing for maths? everyone always says do all the past papers but surely thats impossible? worth doing other exam board papers? all in all, which past papers should i do for maths to be prepared for the new spec AQA maths a level?

and edexcel chemistry , old spec is that just unit 1, unit 2, unit 4, unit 5?
i cant find edexcel legacy chemistry papers on physics and maths tutor anyone know where i can find these?

sorry i know this was confusing and i hope that is explanatory when it shows how confused i am right now. thanks for anyone who bothers to help
14nmathew
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by a_level185)
im doing chemistry, biology and maths A LEVELS on my own in a gap year and i got no clue what to do. i'm very stuck regarding what past papers to do and how to use the specification to help me.

i know the exams started since 2017 but i can only find 2018 papers for maths. no sign of 2017 and 2019 papers. i dont even know where to find the past papers. and for biology i can only find 2017 and 2018 papers. i know for a fact you need to do more than just 2 years worth of papers so what do i do to prepare myself?

also i tried using the specification and for biology it literally bullet points small brief facts i need to know. how does this help with learning and knowing what we are expected to know if it says the facts in the specification. surely one can just memorise the specification points and know everything for the exams? how do people even use the specification to help. i guess for chemistry i can see value to the specification, but AQA bio and AQA maths?

everyone always says physics and maths tutor but i find it difficult to navigate. i can only find 2017 and 2018 new spec papers for bio. no sight of 2019 papers and its 2021 currently. also what on earth are legacy papers. are they old spec? it's confusing because there is 6 units in BIO old spec , so people did 6 papers for a AQA biology a level? units 3 and 6 are EMPA/ISA . do i need to do those? im using units 3 and 6 are course work so just units 1, unit 2, unit 4 and unit 5? Which past papers and units do i need to do to prepare for the new 2015 AQA A LEVEL biology ?! and are the specimen papers worth doing for biology? is it worth doing other exam board papers?

then what about maths old spec? C1, C2, C3,C4, S1, M1 ? 6 papers again for a AQA maths a level? again, are these the legacy/old spec papers? do i need to do all 6 of those mentioned above?
physics and maths tutor has something called Madas/I.Y.G.B Papers – Pure. are they worth doing too? theres also C1, C2, C3, C4, S1,S2,S3,S4,CIE,M1,M2,M3,M4,M5,FP1,FP2,FP3,D1,D2 all when i go on the maths past papers page on physics and maths tutor. Theres also WJEC. Theres also MECHANICS 1B, MECHANICS 2B,MECHANICS 3, MECHANICS 4, MECHANICS 5,DECISON 1, DECISION 2, STATS 1A, STATS 1B, STATS 2B,STATS 3, STATS 4. im so confused please help me,what past papers should i do to prepare for the new AQA A LEVEL MATHS ?! i can only find the 2018 papers. are the specimen papers worth doing for maths? everyone always says do all the past papers but surely thats impossible? worth doing other exam board papers? all in all, which past papers should i do for maths to be prepared for the new spec AQA maths a level?

i cant find edexcel legacy chemistry papers on physics and maths tutor anyone know where i can find these?

sorry i know this was confusing and i hope that is explanatory when it shows how confused i am right now. thanks for anyone who bothers to help
I would highly suggest that you take a subscription for this website called Tailored Tutors, especially for biology as it gives you all you need.

Past Paper question wise, no exam boards have released the 2019 or 2020 papers as these have remained locked as they are being used as mock papers in most schools.

If you are trying to find questions to do, you should visit this website called ExamQA. They have past paper questions for all the subjects you've mentioned and they are very useful. also very easy to navigate through.

When it comes to chemistry, i also use this other website called https://www.scienceskool.co.uk/ . This is filled with old spec questions for chem. Since chemistry is chemistry, its quite beneficial that you do old spec questions. I'd say the same for maths as well. For biology i would recommend just sticking with new spec questions as the question styling has changed quite a bit.

I don't do maths, so i wont be able to answer the 6th paragraph, sorry.

Hope it all goes well
SagalTT3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by a_level185)

Hi that sounds like a lot! as someone who did the same with a levels alone in a gap if theres any help you need PM me , I can definately help!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for maths you should do any paper you can find, including old spec papers as practice is still practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.17%
England (123)
33.42%
Belgium (29)
7.88%
Germany (40)
10.87%
Spain (8)
2.17%