How to know what colour a metal complex colour will be ??

Watch
Binkyboobear
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. So i get transition metal ions have a colour and ive learnt what colour the complex formed between all the transition metal ions and naoh, nh3, na2co3, cl - etc.

My question is how do u know what a colour a complex formed will be if the complex contains two different types of ligand (for example [Cr(OH)3(NH3)3]).

Like if that complex had purely OH ligands then its colour would be deep green solution. but theres nh3 ligands attached as well. nh3 ligands alone with that would be purple solution. But theyre both in the complex so is there like a mixing of colours?? or does one have priority over another??

Thanks for any help!
Binkyboobear
Rep:
?
Hi.

So i get transition metal ions have a colour and ive learnt what colour the complex formed between all the transition metal ions and naoh, nh3, na2co3, cl - etc.

My question is how do u know what a colour a complex formed will be if the complex contains two different types of ligand (for example [Cr(OH)3(NH3)3]).

Like if that complex had purely OH ligands then its colour would be deep green solution. but theres nh3 ligands attached as well. nh3 ligands alone with that would be purple solution. But theyre both in the complex so is there like a mixing of colours?? or does one have priority over another??

Thanks for any help!
Binkyboobear
Rep:
?
Hi. So i get transition metal ions have a colour and ive learnt what colour the complex formed between all the transition metal ions and naoh, nh3, na2co3, cl - etc.

Thanks for any help!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Binkyboobear)

Thanks for any help!
You have no way of knowing, don't worry about it.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
... and stop spamming the forum.
Binkyboobear
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
aren't there any questions where u need to know that? I thought I had seen some complexes where there were 2 different ligands that would affect colour and the question was asking what colour it would be?
Zetnie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what does that even mean einstein
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zetnie)
what does that even mean einstein
Einstein is a name. It needs a capital letter.

It means exactly what it says. The colour a transition metal complex is dependent on the ligand field splitting of the inner 3d orbitals. You would have to be able to predict the exact split between non-degenerate 'd' orbitals and then transform the energy into the wavelength and colour of the light absorbed. You would then have to factor in the same energy gap of different vibrational states to see which wavelegths they in turn absorb. Then you would have to add all of the complementary colours to get an overall colour that would be seen.

This analysis is far beyond the scope of an A' level student, and would be somewhat pointless, as the actual colour can easily be found empirically.
Pick Nick
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You know what colour it'll be when it becomes that colour.
Zetnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Einstein is a name. It needs a capital letter.

It means exactly what it says. The colour a transition metal complex is dependent on the ligand field splitting of the inner 3d orbitals. You would have to be able to predict the exact split between non-degenerate 'd' orbitals and then transform the energy into the wavelength and colour of the light absorbed. You would then have to factor in the same energy gap of different vibrational states to see which wavelegths they in turn absorb. Then you would have to add all of the complementary colours to get an overall colour that would be seen.

This analysis is far beyond the scope of an A' level student, and would be somewhat pointless, as the actual colour can easily be found empirically.
Good afternoon Einstein.

I thought I would use some of my time to kindly point out that you should've said: 'The colour of a transition metal complex is dependent on the ligand field...'

Additionally, you could've said: 'The colour a transition metal complex is dependent on is the ligand field splitting in the inner 3d orbitals...'

I suggest you revise my corrections to avoid further confusion in the future.

Spoiler:
Show
monkaS
Last edited by Zetnie; 1 month ago
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good afternoon Einstein.

I thought I would use some of my time to kindly point out that you should've said: 'The colour of a transition metal complex is dependent on the ligand field...'

Additionally, you could've said: 'The colour a transition metal complex is dependent on is the ligand field splitting in the inner 3d orbitals...'

I suggest you revise my corrections to avoid further confusion in the future.

Spoiler:
Show
monkaS
If you are available for editorial work, I may employ you before my next post. What are your rates?
Binkyboobear
Rep:
?
If you are available for editorial work, I may employ you before my next post. What are your rates?
come on lads. chemistry should be uniting us and bringing us closer together. not tearing us apart 🙏🙏🙏
Zetnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would have to kindly decline as my agent refuses that I work with amateurs.
Zetnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Binkyboobear)
come on lads. chemistry should be uniting us and bringing us closer together. not tearing us apart 🙏🙏🙏
Your the cisplatin to my regulated cell division
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your the cisplatin to my regulated cell division
*You're
Zetnie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*You're
This forum started in the same way it will end, you correcting a grammatical error. You have superseded my ability to navigate through the deep weaves of the English language, and with that I applaud you.

Even though I'm yet to reach any reconciliation between our differing standpoints, we have learnt about the futility of life. The bold arrow of time stops for nobody, and yet we still breathe.

I am still of the opinion that we need to understand the colours of ions in the transition metals topic, however you believe we do not need to remember this. Disagreements like this are essential in furthering our understanding of the A - level specification, so I thank you for your precious time.

Thorough analysis of our previously sent messages has demonstrated we both aren't as steady on our feet in terms of grammatical error, however your final critical hit has left me scared, bewildered and confused.

I offer you my last and final grammatical error for your most thorough, deep and penetrating analysis.

Your a chad

"Learnt from a pro as a mentor.." - JJ DOOM ~ Guv'nor

Spoiler:
Show
sam
Last edited by Zetnie; 1 month ago
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Your a chad
*you're
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (90)
37.97%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.55%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
24.05%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.66%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.17%

Watched Threads