The Student Room Group

Feel that I will be kicked out, so stressed...

I am working in a local accounting firm in London, and this is the final year of my training contract.

I have done 12/15 of the exams and passed all of them first-time with an average results of 77.

But I am still stressed despite good results for exam. I have bad performance rating 2 years in a row. The rating I got for the past two years is the minimum rating a trainee can get before it's kicked out immediately.

If I still get that rating for this year, I don't think they will promote me to senior level even I am qualified...They may kick me out directly.

As I got bad rating, it seems that nobody wants to book me on job so I always have available time in which I don't know what to do.

Another concern is that they do not want to give more more complex work due to bad rating. So the work I am doing now is no difference from what I did in the first and second year, I felt I cannot learn anything from ticking and bashing.

I am feeling stressed and cannot think of a way of escaping this feeling. I have final advanced level exams to do in July but I just cannot focus on that due to stress.
Reply 1
Do you know why you are getting these bad ratings? If so fix it, if not ask why and go from there. If you are getting the same bad ratings for the same reason then that’s why you are still doing the same things as in Y1 and Y2
Learn from whatever mistakes you made, get your qualification, and move jobs. Fresh start.

It sounds like you might have over-invested your time into your studies, at the expense of your work. 77 sounds very high. Maybe too high.
Reply 3
Original post by thrwawy
Do you know why you are getting these bad ratings? If so fix it, if not ask why and go from there. If you are getting the same bad ratings for the same reason then that’s why you are still doing the same things as in Y1 and Y2

I have no idea.
Reply 4
Original post by NonIndigenous
Learn from whatever mistakes you made, get your qualification, and move jobs. Fresh start.

It sounds like you might have over-invested your time into your studies, at the expense of your work. 77 sounds very high. Maybe too high.

I don't think that's the reason. As I always studied after working hours and it shouldn't affect the work...
Original post by Curator
I don't think that's the reason. As I always studied after working hours and it shouldn't affect the work...

Well, delivering academic work, and delivering professional work successfully, require different skill sets which sometimes contradict one another.

It'll depend on your university/course. Some lecturers do a better job of simulating the 'professional environment' with the way they design their coursework for you, and how they expect their students to deliver the project. Other lecturers don't care, and turn the entire module into an examination assessment, simply because it is easier for them to mark / takes less time.

How often at work, have you been required to pass a timed examination? Probably none. I haven't. Maybe twice, and it was relatively insignificant.

Professional work tends to require much stronger people skills. Academic work, tends not to, and usually can be completed through independent working. You can be very technically competed, but terrible at dealing with people.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
When will you have completed your training contract?

To be honest, its a bit hard to turn around a reputation and smaller firms do not necessarily have positions for newly qualifiieds anyway. I'd focus on trying to do a good job, passing the exams and completing your contract and being mentally prepared to find a new job. It doesn't sound like the firm/ work are a good fit for you and I'm sure your skills will be appreciated somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending