What courses are there available for me considering my A-Levels?

Watch
ejanee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I take: Psychology, Biology and Maths. I was originally looking into Psychiatry but that requires me to do medicine and thus take Chemistry, I could try to squeeze it in but if there are other courses possible and seem more viable considering my current options I’m open to it! My teachers have recommended biomed but after browsing around I realised I could take biological sciences. One teacher has made doing biological research sound very appealing to me so that route seems great too! I’m just wondering if there are any courses that may not be so popular but I am able to take which would put me on the same bio/psych research path... I don’t really know what I’m doing anyways. Oh and for the majority of my subject I’m predicted an A but to be safe I’ll say maybe I might get a B in some? Thank you!!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ejanee)
I take: Psychology, Biology and Maths. I was originally looking into Psychiatry but that requires me to do medicine and thus take Chemistry, I could try to squeeze it in but if there are other courses possible and seem more viable considering my current options I’m open to it! My teachers have recommended biomed but after browsing around I realised I could take biological sciences. One teacher has made doing biological research sound very appealing to me so that route seems great too! I’m just wondering if there are any courses that may not be so popular but I am able to take which would put me on the same bio/psych research path... I don’t really know what I’m doing anyways. Oh and for the majority of my subject I’m predicted an A but to be safe I’ll say maybe I might get a B in some? Thank you!!
Maths in itself will get you into many courses. You could look into Economics, Accountancy and Computer Science plus many others. In terms of other subjects many courses will be available. I have checked the Medical school at Swansea University and things like Applied Medical Science and Genetics will accept you. You could also look at things like Cardiac Physiology or Physiotherapy as well as biological subjects. Have a look through these links to get some ideas.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine/
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/science/
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There are also universities that accept students for Medicine without Chemistry. ecolier can you please advise which ones. You can also place your subjects into the Russell Group informed choices and it will advise which subjects can be taken.

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You don't need Chemistry for Medicine, but you do need at least AAA unless you have widening participation criteria.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Biology/Biological Sciences, Zoology, Animal Science, Vet Nursing, Neuroscience, Psychology/Counselling, Nursing, Dental Hygiene & Therapy, Mathematical Biology, Accounting, Economics, Law, Human Resources, etc.

How to Choose a Uni Subject : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...-what-to-study
lolums123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
optometry is a good degree for your a levels
Gmallaby
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd definitely chose biomedical science over biological, its a much highly sought after role and has so many options once you graduate. with biological science I'm sure you need to do top up coursed to be qualified for certain roles a biomedical graduate can apply for, grade boundaries are pretty similar as is the course structure at most universities, but biomed definitely gives you the edge!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (47)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (101)
32.27%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (39)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.63%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (79)
25.24%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.96%

Watched Threads