how to help a friend with an ED

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I need some advice:

One of my closest friends has quite severe anorexia, to the extent that they have developed heart problems as a result of it. They were told by the doctor not to exercise but they have ignored this and are exercising anyway. I've tried talking to them about it but they won't listen, I'm obviously extremely worried about them and their health but I feel helpless

We're currently in different places at the moment as we go to uni in different towns, so I feel very helpless. Any advice please?
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Support them
Talk to them
Ensure they know where to find help if they need it. Being away from them is going to be really hard on you, talk to her parents and see if her doctor advised any specific thing for her. As long as you know you tried and did the very best, you tell her you love her and ensure she knows the help, there isn't much more you can do. You can't force her to eat, or get better she has to choose to do it.
Be her friend is the best you can do, and watch out for warning signs it is getting worse so you can ask people to intervene when it gets more dangerous, such as her parents or her doctor. Yiu are her friend not her carer and you can't be there 24/7.

It's really hard and I really feel for you. And I really do hope she gets better.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
The MIND website has good information on how to support someone with MH issues. See if theyve got a section on supporting someone with an ED.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
Support them
Talk to them
Ensure they know where to find help if they need it. Being away from them is going to be really hard on you, talk to her parents and see if her doctor advised any specific thing for her. As long as you know you tried and did the very best, you tell her you love her and ensure she knows the help, there isn't much more you can do. You can't force her to eat, or get better she has to choose to do it.
Be her friend is the best you can do, and watch out for warning signs it is getting worse so you can ask people to intervene when it gets more dangerous, such as her parents or her doctor. Yiu are her friend not her carer and you can't be there 24/7.

It's really hard and I really feel for you. And I really do hope she gets better.
It's a he but thank you for the advice. He goes to university in London whereas I'm in Durham so we are on opposite ends of the country, its just difficult
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's a he but thank you for the advice. He goes to university in London whereas I'm in Durham so we are on opposite ends of the country, its just difficult
Okay sorry for the she's, I'm sure I read she but I must have gotten confused!

Ik when my friends have been struggling I message them anyway to make sure they know I'm there even if it's very one sided. I hope he gets better
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I need some advice:

One of my closest friends has quite severe anorexia, to the extent that they have developed heart problems as a result of it. They were told by the doctor not to exercise but they have ignored this and are exercising anyway. I've tried talking to them about it but they won't listen, I'm obviously extremely worried about them and their health but I feel helpless

We're currently in different places at the moment as we go to uni in different towns, so I feel very helpless. Any advice please?
https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....orting-someone
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
I need some advice:

As a male anorexic, I know how difficult and reluctanct the person may be to recover (the stigma is huge).
I struggle with anorexia recovery a lot and I hate myself when I eat.
My advice to you would be tell their parents, talk to their GP, and get them to see professionals.
I hope they would use their advice and take on board their tips.
I have a dietitian and they totally understand how overwhelming it is when you have to eat.
She gave me a general plan to eat snacks throughout the day and I felt disguisted and so scared.
I hope you can facetime them or call them.
I hope they get better.
Please DM me if you need any further help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.93%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.77%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.6%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads