sugarplumfairy_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I am currently on an Access course and will be starting university in September to study English Literature and/with Creative Writing.

I am torn between Royal Holloway and the University of Surrey for my firm offer.

The offer for RH is 30D (21D English modules) and 15M, but a leniency of 1 grade lower (except subject specific).
The offer for Surrey is 21D (15D English modules) and 24M.

I struggle quite severely with my mental health which has meant I have been in hospital, and it has meant that I have 3 credits at a P. I also have 1 English module at an M.

I have rung Surrey who have told me that it is not a write-off and they seemed very supportive and understanding. I am yet to ring RH.

For years I have always wanted to go to Royal Holloway, and the course content is more suited to me, and I prefer the 50/50 split between Lit and Creative Writing.

Surrey's course content is still very suitable for me, and their pastoral support does seem better.

I wanted to ask opinions from anybody who can answer, would there possibly be any form of leniency/chance for me to go to Royal Holloway?

I would also like to hear from students from both of these unis and people who have done my course for advice and their experience?

Thank you
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sugarplumfairy_)
Hello,

I am currently on an Access course and will be starting university in September to study English Literature and/with Creative Writing.

I am torn between Royal Holloway and the University of Surrey for my firm offer.

The offer for RH is 30D (21D English modules) and 15M, but a leniency of 1 grade lower (except subject specific).
The offer for Surrey is 21D (15D English modules) and 24M.

I struggle quite severely with my mental health which has meant I have been in hospital, and it has meant that I have 3 credits at a P. I also have 1 English module at an M.

I have rung Surrey who have told me that it is not a write-off and they seemed very supportive and understanding. I am yet to ring RH.

For years I have always wanted to go to Royal Holloway, and the course content is more suited to me, and I prefer the 50/50 split between Lit and Creative Writing.

Surrey's course content is still very suitable for me, and their pastoral support does seem better.

I wanted to ask opinions from anybody who can answer, would there possibly be any form of leniency/chance for me to go to Royal Holloway?

I would also like to hear from students from both of these unis and people who have done my course for advice and their experience?

Thank you
Hi there

It's great to hear that you are considering Surrey, and I am also delighted that you are happy with the support given to you so far! Surrey are very supportive and there is a centre of wellbeing where students can go to talk about anything they may want to talk about. We also have personal tutors that are there to support us through university too. I am a Psychology student so I cannot provide information on the course you would be studying, but here is a link to see what a student has said about your course before: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-lif...eative-writing.

Please don't hesitate to answer any questions as I am here to help

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sugarplumfairy_)
You wont know unless you contact them.

I would suggest that you also consider submitting 'mitigating circumstances' (explaining your MH problems, with a confirming letter from a GP or Counsellor) - ask RHUL about how to do this when you contact them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (69)
30.67%
No (156)
69.33%

Watched Threads