Need some advice for choosing A-Levels

Watch
harveygray1605
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,

I have recently chosen the 3 subjects I want to take at A - Level after GCSE, but now I am having second thoughts. I chose:

Maths A Level
ICT A Level
Music Technology A Level

In the future, I want to study at a really good university (A+AA qualification preferred) that has a Bsc Computer Science course. I have evaluated my choices for Maths and IT A -Level but I am struggling with Music Technology A - Level. I am questioning whether Music Technology A - Level is the right course for me.

I originally chose Music Technology A - Level because I wanted to choose a subject that linked with a passionate hobby. Despite my interest in computers I really like music. However, given the fact that I have no plans of taking a music - related course after A-levels, is it really worth it? Should I take a different A-Level that would be more relevant to computers?

I have consistently been changing my answer from yes to no and back again for this question and so that's why I am asking for advice. Have any of you been in a position like mine and if you were, what did you do?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by harveygray1605)
Hi all,

I have recently chosen the 3 subjects I want to take at A - Level after GCSE, but now I am having second thoughts. I chose:

Maths A Level
ICT A Level
Music Technology A Level

In the future, I want to study at a really good university (A+AA qualification preferred) that has a Bsc Computer Science course. I have evaluated my choices for Maths and IT A -Level but I am struggling with Music Technology A - Level. I am questioning whether Music Technology A - Level is the right course for me.

I originally chose Music Technology A - Level because I wanted to choose a subject that linked with a passionate hobby. Despite my interest in computers I really like music. However, given the fact that I have no plans of taking a music - related course after A-levels, is it really worth it? Should I take a different A-Level that would be more relevant to computers?

I have consistently been changing my answer from yes to no and back again for this question and so that's why I am asking for advice. Have any of you been in a position like mine and if you were, what did you do?

Thanks for taking your time to read this.
Why despite? Is it wrong to like computers and music? 😆
The advice I would give is have a look at different university websites, and the course requirements- often I think for compsci further maths boosts the application a lot, but I haven't looked much into it, so there may be other subjects they want too. Have a look at some online stuff to do with the music tech course (eg content on the spec, YouTube help videos) as well as resources for whatever other subjects you are considering instead of music tech. I'd also recommend going to teachers and asking them about what they think if you haven't already. Hope this helps 🙂
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It sounds like a nice combination

I do IT at A-Level and have enjoyed it, compared to others I also find it less difficult

Your only 16 (I'm guessing) so I would advise taking subjects you like and since maths and ICT and pretty damn practical, I would suggest you take music technology as it definitely sounds cool.

Goodluck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads